are gopros any good?

What's Hot
ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
in Off Topic tFB Trader
So, im sure loads of you have used these but.... the headline figures sound incredible but im not sure if they are worth it at all? What do you use to record video? is a gopro a good all round solution?
Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I dont own one personally, but I'd certainly default to one. All footage i have seen from the new ones is exceptional. 

A couple other brands to consider are;
    Contour
    Sony
    Drift

'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • Aren't they mainly for use if you're doing something extreme? Or biking (extreme to some lol)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What are you using it for? On the side of a motorcycle helmet/when surfing/snowboarding it is brilliant.

If you are gonna do gear demos there are much better options at the price.

The new go pro hero 5 and drift ghost 4 look awesome. Finally a go pro that is water resistant from the off, without any stupid cases.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
    tFB Trader
    Mkjackary said:
    What are you using it for? On the side of a motorcycle helmet/when surfing/snowboarding it is brilliant.

If you are gonna do gear demos there are much better options at the price.

The new go pro hero 5 and drift ghost 4 look awesome. Finally a go pro that is water resistant from the off, without any stupid cases.
    i was looking at something to film my pedals with.....
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Something with a mic input and a screen to frame your shot with then? 
    Drift ghost-s is my suggestion
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • Well aot of the money in a cost of a go pro goes towards marketing, and another load goes towards waterproofing/keeping it compact. Things that are of no/little use to you.

If you were to spend the same amount of money on a camera that didnt have some of the budget/compromises of needing to be small then you will get a better picture quality.

The new go pro hero 5 is £350, and the session 5 is £250

Something like a cannon 700D would be much better than a go pro hero 5 in most areas.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2379
    They are good fun, good quality and surprisingly good audio. Not 100% sure they'd be the best for filming your pedals with, as that doesn't really require the wide angle nature of the camera? I guess it depends on how / what you plan to film. They do have the advantage of being small with lots of grips / mounts though I guess. 

A few years back, the band I was in took it in turns to wear my GoPro on our heads, play the same song 4 times over and merge together, albeit a bit crudely in the end. Audio is all from the camera:

https://youtu.be/m-AkbE9jbpI
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2568
    edited November 2016
    Hertz32 said:
    Something with a mic input and a screen to frame your shot with then? 
    Drift ghost-s is my suggestion
    I have a Drift Ghost S to film my motorcycling shenanigans. It's ideal for my use and at 1080p/60 fps the quality is excellent. I've also owned 2 gopros previously which were excellent too but I rate the Drift as it's more streamlined, has the screen and works well with iphone app. The external mic is handy too. One thing I've learnt is that when editing videos do it in the highest resolution possible. 

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I'm sure that pedal show use them, so that is a good reference . 

The karma drone looks soooo good 
  • We've got an SJCAM 4000 which is a Chinese copy but very good and only £70. Make sure you get one from a proper camera shop though not amazon as there's lots of Chinese knock offs. A Chinese copy of a Chinese copy is going to be pretty bad. 

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• Wouldn't something like a low end Canon DSLR and STM lens be better suited for gear demos? 

You're paying a lot for a fairly low end video camera (although they're decent, the main focus is on marketing and being weatherproof! two things a gear demo won't need). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15987
    Thorpers....how's your health now Bro...feelin' better?
    tae be or not tae be
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15987

I'm angling for a discount   :)

only kiddin' I'm WELL sorted

tae be or not tae be
  • For direct to camera stuff probably not a go pro imho a moderate DSLR with good video again mentioned Canon hard to beat.

All that said I am a stills guy who never got that excited for video.

From recent experience we did a quick and easy little video demo of a new product recently on two iPhone 6 as long as you have good lighting the quality is pretty fine for demo stuff. 

I was was very impressed how easy it was to do a two or three camera shoot and track it all together by the audio in Final Cut I laid down a clap for start and stop but it tracked it easily on the spoken voice in the demo. 

The the ability to do multiple angles and cut between shots to me is far more powerful and makes for more engaging watching than just someone talking direct to camera.

ymmv
    edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    Thanks for the responses, Im thinking a mix of solutions will make this work best. Gopro for the wide moving stuff and my SLR for the static focussed in stuff.

• ThorpyFX said:
    Thanks for the responses, Im thinking a mix of solutions will make this work best. Gopro for the wide stuff and my SLR for the focussed in stuff.

What SLR have you got? If it's a canikon you can get an 18-55 zoom cheap, and canon ones have a stepper motor for quieter continuous focusing. They cost a lot less than ago pro and will give way better results, with image stabilisation.
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    Thanks for the responses, Im thinking a mix of solutions will make this work best. Gopro for the wide stuff and my SLR for the focussed in stuff.

What SLR have you got? If it's a canikon you can get an 18-55 zoom cheap, and canon ones have a stepper motor for quieter continuous focusing. They cost a lot less than ago pro and will give way better results, with image stabilisation.
    I have just bought a Canon 6D for the business. (probably overkill, but it was a great deal)
  • If you are doing static shots with a tripod, then IS (Image Stabilisation) isn't necessary. I'm using an SLR as my main video camera, and an iPhone 7 paired up with a DJI Osmo Mobile... though I'm yet to play with the latter much (check out the image tracking feature, it's a lovely feature if you don't have someone to operate the cameras for you. For audio a small Zoom recorder is handy, the H4 I have doubles as a USB audio interface too.
    tFB Trader
    If you are doing static shots with a tripod, then IS (Image Stabilisation) isn't necessary. I'm using an SLR as my main video camera, and an iPhone 7 paired up with a DJI Osmo Mobile... though I'm yet to play with the latter much (check out the image tracking feature, it's a lovely feature if you don't have someone to operate the cameras for you. For audio a small Zoom recorder is handy, the H4 I have doubles as a USB audio interface too.
    Yeah, i bought the Zoom H5N (used) a short while ago, Just getting to grips with it at the moment. Although it seems to be a really useful and powerful device.