Value of a 1954 Gibson ES-175?

WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 168
edited November 2016 in Guitar
There's a 1954 ES-175 in my local music shop. It's the early single P90 model in sunburst. Missing it's pickguard but everything else is 100% original and it's in very good condition. They're asking £3200 for it. Seems a little steep to me. Anyone got a good idea of what it'd be worth? Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4297
    Might be a little steep I guess. Possibly want to try and get it for nearer £2500, maybe stretch to £2700 if all original and in nice condition, as it sounds it is. Unless you are a dedicated Jazzer, it's hard to argue with the 2 pup model being the better option, but they are in more demand and a bit dearer. There are some amazing sounds to be had when you bring the bridge P90 into play. Middle position in particular is killer.

• CloudNine said:
    Might be a little steep I guess. Possibly want to try and get it for nearer £2500, maybe stretch to £2700 if all original and in nice condition, as it sounds it is. Unless you are a dedicated Jazzer, it's hard to argue with the 2 pup model being the better option, but they are in more demand and a bit dearer. There are some amazing sounds to be had when you bring the bridge P90 into play. Middle position in particular is killer.

I'm not a dedicated jazzer but I'd only be using this guitar for jazz/swing stuff and I've only ever used the neck pickup on archtops! Thanks for the price advice.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14609
    tFB Trader
    https://www.gbase.com/gear?Q=gibson es 175 1954

if you look at this for any guide price then £3200 is very well priced for a good clean example with almost no issues - and remember this is a good place to start anyway as many 60 year old guitars will have far more issues

You also pay around 3K for the current Limited Edition reissue so again that adds extra points to the asking price of the original

Then take into account the current weak £ v $, so add import duty and vat plus shipping /insurance and those prices on g-base and reverb all of a sudden look very expensive compared to £3200

Final decision is yours - do you really want it in which case £3200 looks tempting
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom