Who knew that the US planned to push Germany back to the middle ages after WW2? Morgenthau Plan?

What's Hot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgenthau_Plan

"The Morgenthau Plan (GermanMorgenthau-Planpronounced [ˈmɔʁgəntaʊ ˌpla:n]), first proposed by United States Secretary of the Treasury Henry Morgenthau, Jr. in a memorandum entitled Suggested Post-Surrender Program for Germany, advocated that the Allied occupation of Germany following World War II include measures to eliminate Germany's ability to wage war by eliminating its armament industry, and the removal or destruction of other key industries basic to military strength. This included the removal or destruction of all industrial plants and equipment in the Ruhr."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72607
    Yes - although it was only ever a proposal. Luckily they chose the better idea of peace through prosperity. They also needed a strong (West) Germany during the Cold War.

The Russians came a fair bit closer to it in East Germany though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11970
    ICBM said:
    Yes - although it was only ever a proposal. Luckily they chose the better idea of peace through prosperity. They also needed a strong (West) Germany during the Cold War.

The Russians came a fair bit closer to it in East Germany though.
    yeah, very scary what the Russians did.  Mass rapes and  millions taken to die in work camps
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    Many of the top Nazis and SS guards escaped punishment and were recruited by the US as spies against Russia.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • miserneil said:
    Many of the top Nazis and SS guards escaped punishment and were recruited by the US as spies against Russia.
    Or put to use inventing space rockets or other scientific things
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72607
    miserneil said:
    Or put to use inventing space rockets or other scientific things
    Yes. Although it's true that Von Braun famously said that the main flaw with the V2 was that it landed on the wrong planet, he was responsible for developing a weapon of mass civilian murder, since he knew it wasn't accurate enough to hit anything other than a city. He and his team also certainly knew about the use of slave labour in the construction works at Peenemünde and the underground V2 factory.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I would recommend the book Nazi Hunters to anyone. 

Tells the the story of the (at the time disbanded) SAS tracking people down only to find the CIA protecting them. 

Appalling
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5018
    peteri said:
    I would recommend the book Nazi Hunters to anyone. 

Tells the the story of the (at the time disbanded) SAS tracking people down only to find the CIA protecting them. 

Appalling
    It's a shame Christopher Lee kept this side of his story secret. He was a nazi hunter after the war. 
  • I read the nazi hunters, the other month. .. good book and a story that needed to be told. . The other book by the same author,  is even better,  I think it's called Churchill secret army,  the formation of the SAS/SBS. With the great Danish warrior and chums. .!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3595
    It should come as no surprise that the Americans would take such a hostile and commercial view of the whole thing, after all it was those very same johnny come latelys that screwed the Germans at the last evening on the armistice following WWI. Both France, Great Britain and indeed Russia had some quite sensible terms to allow Germany to remain with some dignity and earn her way back to financial strength until the might of the US $ screwed the pooch without telling the Germans. When they sat down to sign the treaty it was not the one they had agreed to and the French and British delegates were embarressed to be taking part in the charade.
    Eventually the Marshall plan was invoked and Germany rebuilt following WWII, we as the USAs allies got screwed over that time.