Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best book to film adaptations?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
The best for me was Lord of the Rings. Brilliant books (although a bit ponderous in places), but the films really captured the essence and power of the whole story. The casting was superb, the look and feel amazing, and I got more 'atmosphere' from the battles than I did in the written word.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No Country for Old Men is one of the most faithful adaptions I've seen, with both book and film being brilliant. There are a few minor alterations made by the Coen Brothers but it manages to completely capture the claustrophobia that Moss tries to escape from and the brutality of Chigurh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Watchmen. The ending was different to the book but it was better.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10341
    Stephen Kings Misery.

Great book,great film.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • The number of books I've read that have also been a film is very select. However, of those I'm thinking Hannibal. It is a truly terrible book but made into a reasonable film so it's a pretty successful bit of adaptation.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28735
    Definitely agree on Lord of The Rings. Much better as over-long films than as ridiculously over-long and badly written books.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The Godfather, although that could be because the author helped write the screenplay. Both the book and film are great IMHO.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28735
    Ring!

Japanese film version much better than the book.

American film version better still than the Japanese version.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • IMO, it has to be The Godfather films.  The books aren't exactly high literature, pretty much standard crime fare but Ford Coppola and everyone else attached produced something really special.  

I'm surprised to see The Watchmen listed.  Many vocal comic nerds (with myself) included thought it was a steaming turd of a film.  Zack Synder destroyed all the subtle nuances of the text and into a brash piece of garbage. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347

I'm surprised to see The Watchmen listed.  Many vocal comic nerds (with myself) included thought it was a steaming turd of a film.  Zack Synder destroyed all the subtle nuances of the text and into a brash piece of garbage. 
    I'm a lifelong comics and graphic novels fan and I really enjoyed the film, it's in my top ten. The ending is definitely better than the book version. Having said that I .....er ..... only got around to actually buying the book last Xmas and I .... er .... haven't read it yet. In my defence, I never liked Dave Gibbons conservative artwork on anything and that was a big off-putter. I'll probably re-evaluate what I think of the film once I've actually read it.

• axisus said:
    The ending is definitely better than the book version and I haven't read it yet. 
    No comment.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    Fretwired said:
    The Godfather, although that could be because the author helped write the screenplay. Both the book and film are great IMHO.
    Same with 2001 - although in that case both were written in parallel so it possibly doesn't count as an adaptation. The film is better, if anything.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Band of Brothers

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3498
    edited November 2016
    Some more which I think are great

(1946) The Big Sleep (William Faulkner wrote the screenplay!)
    The Exorcist 
    The Mist (2007)
    The Diving Bell & Butterfly
    Mysteries of Lisbon
    The Third Man
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Shout outs for both Star Wars and The Matrix for being better adaptations of the bible than the original book.
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5187
  • The Shining
  • The Godfather, LOTR and 2001 get my vote.

I read Hannibal and it wasn't great but worth a read anyway.

Jurassic Park was a pretty good read too IIRC

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• tone1 said:
    Mary Poppins... :)
    Good shout, that and 'The Wizard of Oz'. 

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Goodfellas
    My V key is broken
  • game of thrones season 1.

Dont get the 2001 love, the ending of the film makes no sense at all unless you've read the book (although obviosuly things dont really get revealed until 2010). Shame they didnt make the other books into that series films though, and with todays special effects they could do justice to the ending instead of that weird psychadelic bit.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ