We just got a puppy

What's Hot
He's a right pain in the arse. Had him a week now and he's already pissing me off. Keeps leaving me little brown presents everywhere, mostly in my office and in a place I can't see just smell. Throws tantrums and gets all bitey when he doesn't get what he wants. He's 11 weeks old but looks 90. He's the cutest most annoying and stinky little shit bag I've ever met. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Don't worry - it will be worth it in the end. But owning a puppy will be a testing time. I bet you've read books, sought advice et but it will all go out the window and you just want a few hours rest from the constant work/hassle.

You may as well write off the lower 4ft of the ground floor of your house now - everything will have bodily fluids sprayed on it, and/or be chewed.

Approaching adulthood, your dog will gradually develop some common sense and not chew everything, not be that bothered with new things which appear, be less curious, etc. For example, a puppy will take great excitement in the mail and parcels, and tag them as "chew toys". An older dog won't be so bothered. My ex has had 3 phones chewed (cracking the screen), 1 remote control, countless slippers, countless dishsponges (my puppy seems to love them), most of the tables, kitchen rolls, etc. There was this one time I was sitting browsing the internet, and the dog had chewed through the cable and I lost the connection. I fixed it with sellotape and hid the wires behind a board.

If you want specific tips on housetraining....let me know.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Lush !!

#thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1477
    paul_c2 said:
    Don't worry - it will be worth it in the end. But owning a puppy will be a testing time. I bet you've read books, sought advice et but it will all go out the window and you just want a few hours rest from the constant work/hassle.

You may as well write off the lower 4ft of the ground floor of your house now - everything will have bodily fluids sprayed on it, and/or be chewed.

Approaching adulthood, your dog will gradually develop some common sense and not chew everything, not be that bothered with new things which appear, be less curious, etc. For example, a puppy will take great excitement in the mail and parcels, and tag them as "chew toys". An older dog won't be so bothered. My ex has had 3 phones chewed (cracking the screen), 1 remote control, countless slippers, countless dishsponges (my puppy seems to love them), most of the tables, kitchen rolls, etc. There was this one time I was sitting browsing the internet, and the dog had chewed through the cable and I lost the connection. I fixed it with sellotape and hid the wires behind a board.

If you want specific tips on housetraining....let me know.
    Wis awarded here. 

Training a puppy is is hard work and exhausting as hell but totally worth it if you're willing to put the time in. A few months hard work will give you long term satisfaction and happiness. 

If you arent already, I'd recommend crate training him. Helps massively with toilet training and training in general.

if they try and chew something you don't want them to, try and substitute it for a toy or something else as quickly as possible. There will be a lot of repetitiveness and telling him no, but eventually he'll (hopefully) understand he's not supposed to chew something. 

Good luck and try and enjoy it! Getting a puppy is the best thing we ever did. Ours is now 1 (on Friday just gone) and although she's still a little shit sometimes, she's an absolute legend and I couldn't imagine life without her. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom