Setting up a 3/4 size Encore Strat?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3500
I have tuned it but it seems to drift quite easily.
Also, when its in tune if I play say an open G chord the G will sound out of tune yet the strings are tuned.
The harder I press on the strings when playing a chord the more out of tune it goes, so I'm thinking the tremolo might need tightening up?
I know this isn't the best guitar in the world but I want to teach my daughter to play so I want to have this set up properly.

I doubt she will use the tremolo so is there a way to lock it up?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It sounds to me that the action is a bit high and that is impacting on the intonation....or that the intonation isn't quite right to start with.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72425
    robgilmo said:

I have tuned it but it seems to drift quite easily.
    Also, when its in tune if I play say an open G chord the G will sound out of tune yet the strings are tuned.
    The harder I press on the strings when playing a chord the more out of tune it goes
    These short-scale electrics generally need heavy strings - at least 11s - and a very well-cut nut to play well in tune, exactly for that reason - a shorter scale lowers the tension and makes it very sensitive to pressure and what's effectively bending, as you pull the strings down to the frets.

robgilmo said:

I doubt she will use the tremolo so is there a way to lock it up?
    Yes. First loosen the strings, and raise the six (or two) screws at the front of the bridge about a turn, to make sure they're clear of the plate. Then tighten the springs in the back with the two screws in the claw - all the way to the wood if they will go in that easily, or until they start to get noticeably tight if not. Now very carefully tighten the screws on the front (easiest to start with the outer ones, then the middle four) until the bridge is just pulled fully flat onto the body, and doesn't start to lift at the back edge. Then retune - if the back edge of the bridge lifts, you either need to further tighten the springs or add one or two more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3500
    Thanks guys, I've pulled the claw right into the body and tightened the screws and retuned, although the bridge isn't perfectly flat onto the body its much better. So I will order some new strings, any recommendations? The strings that are on there are probably the same strings that came with the guitar when new (I bought it at auction although it still had plastic over the pickups so I'm assuming it was unplayed) so I don't hold high hopes at them being any good.
    D'Addario do a set 11 - 49 , would they do the job?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72425
    robgilmo said:

D'Addario do a set 11 - 49 , would they do the job?
    Yes, those should be ideal. They should feel about the same as 9s do on a normal-scale guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3500
    Perfect, thank you.