DPP considering complaint regarding Undue Influence in the Referendum Campaign

What's Hot
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/07/brexit-cps-considers-complaint-that-leave-campaigns-misled-voters

Will Alison Saunders have the guts to suggest specific promises (rather than aims / hopes) made by politicians are actionable?

I'm guessing not.

(Definitely a guess as the only undue influence stuff I know enough about has nothing to do with election law)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    I wonder if they'll dismiss it as a referendum not coming under the scope of the Electoral Administration Act
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24609
    I wonder if it will be dismissed because Alison Saunders doesn't seem to do anything other than appear on the telly to explain prosecution failures.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I doubt much will happen as according to an expert on the radio it wasn't an election and wasn't legally binding.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Who doesn't mislead voters?
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24609
    I don't think it will get anywhere either.

But I wonder if that is the point - to start the debate on whether politicians should, just perhaps, stop lying like bastards for a change.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5635
    George Osborne must be shitting himself.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    I think it's being "considered" because telling the complainant to fuck off in public is probably a bit too rude.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12674
    Fretwired said:
    I doubt much will happen as according to an expert on the radio it wasn't an election and wasn't legally binding.
    Indeed.

Try telling the Brexitears brigade that, though. They are all butt-hurt that for it to be legally binding it has to be voted on by Parliament and are trying to find ways of overturning something that *is* legally binding. Ironic, huh?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Steady now, Farage has threatened riots if he doesn't get his own way, so best not rock the boat.

Getting bored of it all, tbh.

But I am still extremely pissed off with Leave voters for depriving me of my European citizenship once hard Brexit (inevitable) kicks in in 2 years time.

So I'll keep posting threads about how we are all benefiting from 'taking control'
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11970
    Farage will be back in charge of UKIP within months
    mellowsun said:
    Steady now, Farage has threatened riots if he doesn't get his own way, so best not rock the boat.

No he hasn't. Campaign fear is dead. Farage warned there will be riots on the streets if MPs try and block Brexit which is a different thing altogether. He hasn't threatened anyone .. an no I'm not a Farage supporter.

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2809
    Fretwired said:
    mellowsun said:

No he hasn't. Campaign fear is dead. Farage warned there will be riots on the streets if MPs try and block Brexit which is a different thing altogether. He hasn't threatened anyone .. an no I'm not a Farage supporter.

This doesn't seem to make any sense at all.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Semantics. He is effectively inciting unrest by making that statement because he knows how influential he is right now among brexiteers.
    thebreeze said:
    Fretwired said:
    mellowsun said:

This doesn't seem to make any sense at all.
    Why? Farage threatening something means he has control over it which he doesn't- the OP says Farage has threatened riots if he doesn't get his own way which is patently crap as is  Leave voters for depriving me of my European citizenship .. Europe isn't a county - you don't have citizenship of it.

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2809
    I think I agree with mellowsun.  He (or anyone else) doesn't have to have control over anything to make a threat.  The threat itself instils fear and anxiety which may lead to control which is what he wants.
    thebreeze said:
    I think I agree with mellowsun.  He (or anyone else) doesn't have to have control over anything to make a threat.  The threat itself instils fear and anxiety which may lead to control which is what he wants.
    Farage has threatened anyone ... it's good old project fear again. Read what he said .. he is quoted in all the newspapers .. don't put words in his mouth.

mellowsun said:
    Semantics. He is effectively inciting unrest by making that statement because he knows how influential he is right now among brexiteers.
    I voted Brexit. I wouldn't give him house room. I know quite a few people people who voted Brexit who can't stand the guy. You're sweeping statements don't reflect reality.

• Farage is a twat
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9736
    Surely both sides made extravagant and misleading claims - so really both sides should be reported to the DPP.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6112
    Brize said:
    George Osborne must be shitting himself.
    Cameron too. Time to give the tumbrils a lick of paint.