Mesa Boogie Mark V: 25 noise on channel 2 - normal?

What's Hot
imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3774
edited November 2016 in Amps
I've just got myself the above-mentioned amp and have found some great sounds from it.  The one I like least, though, is the sound of channel 2 when I'm not playing - even with the volume low and the guitar volume dialled off.  On channel 1 I can mostly just hear the fan (which is a bit irritating but, I guess, necessary).

Is the noise on channel 2 normal?  I flicked the ground/lift switch on the back to lift which I thought was only for the 'Cab Clone' feature but it seems to make a difference to the amp through a speaker.  There was also, occasionally, a little bit of a sound like a rustling paper bag (almost like the sound of a slightly dodgy cable being moved - but relatively quiet to that) and some other general interference.  When I click to use only 'Cab Clone' and switch off the speaker it, perhaps unsurprisingly, becomes much quieter!

I'm wondering if it's my home electrics (1860s cottage with not great wiring) - and, if so, if there's much I can do about it?  I run quite a lot from one socket (all there is in the room), which has other trailing sockets daisy-chained.  Afraid it's all out of necessity (trust me, there's a lot I'd like to do to this house).  Are there any 'better' power cables I can use?  Anything that would make a difference.

It might just be one of things but thought I'd ask.
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Mine isn't noisy on either channel. Do you use those powerline adapters (internet via the mains things)? They made some of my amps pretty noisy but a few of these sorted it out:

Tacima 6 Way Mains Conditioner and Radio Frequency Interference Filter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000PS5700/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_kgpiybYJ3X1DB
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Some Mesa can be a bit noisy; this is often classed as 'normal'...
    Not sure about this - I've owned a MkIII and currently own a Lonestar Special - both were/are exceptionally quiet.

I've never played a MkV (of any sort) - but I'd be surprised if noise as intrusive as the OP's suggesting is typical of the breed.

It make well be a valve issue.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Apart from the TA30 head with the reverb issue, all my Boog's and Mesa's have been very quiet.
  • Sounds like possibly a preamp tube stick it on the offending channel and tap them one by one with a pencil - if you tap one and get the noise its that tube.
  • I had something very similar with a Mesa Express 5:50 1x12 combo. Gain channel was noisy, and it also had the static noise you describe, turned out to be one of the pre-amp valves.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Not sure about this - I've owned a MkIII and currently own a Lonestar Special - both were/are exceptionally quiet.

I've never played a MkV (of any sort) - but I'd be surprised if noise as intrusive as the OP's suggesting is typical of the breed.

I did say 'some'.... my Express was hissy, as they are prone to be...
  • Thanks.  I'll check out the valves tonight.  A mains conditioner might well help too.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I always find any amp makes noise on the gain channels but I'd never noticed any above normal on that amp. 

Have you tried the different settings and it stays there?
  • Deijavoo said:
    I always find any amp makes noise on the gain channels but I'd never noticed any above normal on that amp. 

Have you tried the different settings and it stays there?
    The Mark IV setting is the noisiest.  Maybe just one of those things...might try some valve switching when I'm not half-asleep!

My band, Red For Dissent

I did say 'some'.... my Express was hissy, as they are prone to be...
    I have very little experience with the Express series - yours may be representative - I've only played one briefly in a shop.

One thing I remember about my MkIII, was that everything seemed noisy until I read the manual. In spite of having a seemingly wide range of adjustment available - most Mesas seem to sound at their optimum within relatively narrow parameters.

@imalrightjack - try variations on recommended settings from the manual first. In my experience, Mesas are far from intuitive to dial in.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I could be wrong but the Dual Recs always seemed to tailor a bass rather than increase or indeed decrease. The base tone was always there. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72569
    Noise is tone.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein