HOF pedal making horrible noise

What's Hot
Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430

I've not used my Hall Of Fame reverb pedal for a few months and when I last did it was working perfectly. Today I put it on my board and found it made an awful noise through the amp when the pedal was switched on. Like a cross between a loud metalic hiss and a buzz. Same thing whether powered by my Hot Stone Deluxe or by battery.

Does this sound like a repairable fault and, if so, does anyone know where I might send it for repair?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have a tc corona that is on the fritz. I would be interested in finding someone who can fix it- the tone doofer thingy doesn't work!
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited February 2019
  • I had a HOF mini that used to make a really annoying, noticeable "digital" noise either on or off. 
    How very rock and roll
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72453
    My experience with all TC pedal faults is that they are not repairable by the average tech if at all, and that TC's UK distributor want more than the price of a new one to even look at it.

Maybe a slight exaggeration but not much. I won't take them to repair now, it's a waste of my time and the customer's.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I concur with @ICBM. My Spark Booster (great pedal) had a frozen switch and the price quoted for repair was ridiculous. Luckily a good squirt of switch cleaner and a bit of judicious manipulation freed it up. Now it's in a looper and operated remotely so I don't need to worry about it. I won't be buying any more TC pedals though. A virtually irreparable switch isn't on the list of features I want from my pedals.

• I have a Hall of Fame and original Flashback. The Flashback won't accept Toneprints via the app anymore. I have no idea why. Thankfully both pedals still work in terms of their regular functionality. 

• My hof did that from new. Awful digital sounding pedal.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    edited November 2016
    Thanks for all the replies. The Fretboard is great when help or advice is needed.

Is it sitting above your power supply?  If you take it off the pedalboard, does it still hum?
    No not above the supply. I tested it away from the pedal board and it's a nasty noise rather than a hum  -  but only when switched on.

ICBM said:
    My experience with all TC pedal faults is that they are not repairable by the average tech if at all, and that TC's UK distributor want more than the price of a new one to even look at it.

Maybe a slight exaggeration but not much. I won't take them to repair now, it's a waste of my time and the customer's.

I concur with @ICBM. My Spark Booster (great pedal) had a frozen switch and the price quoted for repair was ridiculous. Luckily a good squirt of switch cleaner and a bit of judicious manipulation freed it up. Now it's in a looper and operated remotely so I don't need to worry about it. I won't be buying any more TC pedals though. A virtually irreparable switch isn't on the list of features I want from my pedals.

That doesn't bode well for getting the HOF fixed. Nor does it encourage me to buy another one. A shame really because it did everything I needed of a reverb pedal and very well too.

So, any recommendations for a decent digital reverb pedal comparable with the HOF that is say sub-£200 new, or even better a good used one? Pedals like the Strymons are way over the top for my needs as I'm not into all the ambient stuff. I just prefer not to hear the crashing of springs in my combo whenever anyone stomps around on stage D

Edit: I should say that in a pedal I generally prefer the plate reverbs to simulated springs.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Some of the guys here swear by the catalinbread talisman for plate reverb. I've never tried it myself, but it'd be at the top of my list if I was looking for plate. 
    Branshen said:
    Some of the guys here swear by the catalinbread talisman for plate reverb. I've never tried it myself, but it'd be at the top of my list if I was looking for plate. 
    Ah, thanks for that mate. I'll look one up.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I've a lush Dr Scientist verb in the classifieds at the moment - it does plate.
    simonk said:
    Nice pedal. If I remember rightly the mini version you are selling doesn't take a battery  -  is that right?  Although my main board is powered by a Hot Stone Deluxe I do sometimes take out a small board of only three battery-operated pedals and no power supply. The reverb pedal would be one of those so needs battery operation.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Jimbro66 said:
    simonk said:
    Nice pedal. If I remember rightly the mini version you are selling doesn't take a battery  -  is that right?  Although my main board is powered by a Hot Stone Deluxe I do sometimes take out a small board of only three battery-operated pedals and no power supply. The reverb pedal would be one of those so needs battery operation.
    Yup, no battery unfortunately.
  • Jimbro66 said:

Today I put it on my board and found it made an awful noise through the amp when the pedal was switched on.

Mine can make a horrible noise when switched on too, I typically hear it when I'm playing, it sounds fine when soneone else uses it  :s

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jimbro66 said:

Today I put it on my board and found it made an awful noise through the amp when the pedal was switched on.

Mine can make a horrible noise when switched on too, I typically hear it when I'm playing, it sounds fine when soneone else uses it  :s
    LOL
  • I was a bit unfair to TC earlier. Turns out my Flashback does still work fine and accept Toneprints. It was a problem with the idiot that owns the pedal doing it wrong.

I was a bit unfair to TC earlier. Turns out my Flashback does still work fine and accept Toneprints. It was a problem with the idiot that owns the pedal doing it wrong.
    Well we all know that if we're struggling with a bit of technology we need to ask a five-year-old :D
  • I had one - thought it sounded pants and coloured my tone - got rid double quick time
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Line 6 M5 has a great range of reverts and it's cheap.
    In vain hope I plugged in the HOF again yesterday and was surprised to find it worked perfectly - for a few minutes. Then it started a sharp metallic crackle before descending into the same god-awful noise as before. It's now deceased and laid to rest. I'll be after a replacement reverb next week.