Acoustic Guitar Technique Is Tommy Emmanuel the complete answer

What's Hot

Basically a thread about how to bash the metal strung acoustic flat picking or otherwise. What floats your boat and so on 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I like his style but prefer listening to Al Di Meola. He is a massively complete player though.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    i like what he plays but cant really listen to a lot of it...i have a mate who plays just like him..
  • Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    Issac Guillory, the most wonderfully underrated guitarist / songwriter - a true gentleman and sadly missed. Technique to die for..

Always gives me goosebumps that guy.
    His hybrid picking was off the chart:D

• TE is indeed massively talented, but as with all "clinicians" I get a bit bored listening to too much of his stuff.

I'd rather listen to Jimmy Page, Rory Gallagher, Robert Johnson, George Harrison or Don McLean's acoustic offerings.
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

I find TEs gurning a bit too much. Players I like are Martin Simpson - John Renbourn - Martin Carthy - Duck Baker - Stefan Grossman - Chet Atkins - John Hurt for a start. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • As great as he is, there is no single player that can be the last word.  I do realize that's pretty much what everybody else has already said.  I like most of the artists listed in this thread already but I don't see mention of Leo Kottke or Bert Jansch.  There's a Canadian guitarist, Don Ross, that put out quite a few albums here using a percussive approach.  He hits various parts parts of the guitar while keeping a lively strum/melody going and usually plays in alternate tunings.  I don't know how widespread his music is but again, I can't listen to too many songs in a row of his music either.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Love TE but wish he wouldn't be so over the top at some point on most of his stuff.  Especially when he's playing live.  I've been trying to play Angelina for quite a while now and just started Somewhere over the Rainbow.

I am on the list for something called Acoustic Guitar Videos which give a lot of lesser known guitarists a chance to shine. Some are overrated but there is a Korean player who IMO is very good and just watched Peppino D'Agostino (I think) liked his playing a lot. 
    Thanks for that I watched some Peppino D'Agostina and enjoyed it.

A guy I like to watch who always makes me smile is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrOH_qz0x3E Igor Presnyakov.  He does some really nice versions of popular songs - even Lady Gaga.

Liked that dave thanks for the heads up on him 
    He does some nice, and fun, stuff.  Usually he plays in standard tuning, often tuned down a tone, so you can work out some of his arrangements. 
  • Has anybody tried the Tommy Maton models? 
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I'm afraid I can't stand Tommy Emmanual. He just comes across as a show off to me. Bert Jansch is my all-time favourite closely followed by Richard Thompson. For purely instrumental pieces Gordon Gilltrap does some lovely pieces.

One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33859
    I'm somewhat biased but I think Tommy is amazing. I'm not so interested in the slappy/bashy/am I playing guitar or drums style of modern acoustic playing. Guys like Andy McKee and the like- all the energy is spent playing the tricky techniques that somewhere the music gets lost. Tommy is always playing music- yeah he is a showman as well, but I like that too.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33859
    Has anybody tried the Tommy Maton models? 

Yes, the 808 model. Very nice, but not massively different to a Martin really. Buy used, resale is atrocious.
  • Ah ok, thanks for the info!
  • Tommy is great but I prefer Pierre Bensusan. There's also Michael Hedges and I like some of Pat Metheny's acoustic stuff. I stumbled across this guy recently :

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not as technical as some of these guys, but loving this at the moment... He hammers on that guitar
  • Plectrum said:
    I'm afraid I can't stand Tommy Emmanual. He just comes across as a show off to me. Bert Jansch is my all-time favourite closely followed by Richard Thompson. For purely instrumental pieces Gordon Gilltrap does some lovely pieces.

Wow you can't stand TE but like Gordon gilltrap. I guess players like gilltrap can only dream of playing like Tommy E. Tommy Emmanual ( CPG ) is great, he can play anything and he's such a nice guy.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5300
    brucegill said:
    Not as technical as some of these guys, but loving this at the moment... He hammers on that guitar
    loving that thanks for posting