Saturday Poker night!

What's Hot
NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
The last time I played poker is about 5 years ago (which was also the first time ive ever played it) and it didn't go well, and ive stupidly agreed to a game night tomorrow night at my bosses house. There will be ten of us, and I have a feeling I may be in for a wallet spanking. I don't think I could 'bluff' to save my life, and I have a tendency to be a little impulsive at times. Probably not a good mix.
**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24657
    I'm happy to play you first.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Been a long time since I played, too. Used to play a lot with my mates and my brother, but they got irritated with me winning more than my fair share.

They all tried to over-think it, so manufacturing artificial tells and playing the odd unpredictable hand made it far too easy.
    <space for hire>
    Been a long time since I played, too. Used to play a lot with my mates and my brother, but they got irritated with me winning more than my fair share.

They all tried to over-think it, so manufacturing artificial tells and playing the odd unpredictable hand made it far too easy.

Excellent. I've never tried false tells.

I just need to find someone who will play with me now!
  • IvanMCIvanMC Frets: 91
    Waste of time - and money. Just go low key, stay in and play guitar, and then you might take in a good movie. Unless you clean them out...
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I'm happy to play you first.

Youre too kind :)

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited November 2016

Image result for poker weak

Run away, it won't end well.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    Keep it simple and play the odds.

I won my first game (with money riding on it) the other week, I felt like such a badass.
    Im thinking about setting a low budget, taking the cash, and leaving the wallet at home. Then, if I run out, I run out, and can just spend the rest of the evening drinking :)
  • Been a long time since I played, too. Used to play a lot with my mates and my brother, but they got irritated with me winning more than my fair share.

Yeah, you have to be properly confident to pick the right moment for the payoff, though, and it's a loooong setup. You also have to keep track of who's watching you for tells and who isn't.
    <space for hire>
    Been a long time since I played, too. Used to play a lot with my mates and my brother, but they got irritated with me winning more than my fair share.

Yeah, you have to be properly confident to pick the right moment for the payoff, though, and it's a loooong setup. You also have to keep track of who's watching you for tells and who isn't.
    Certainly less likely to be found out than simply dealing them the hand I want them to have.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4324
    I used to play a lot online. With the kids I don't get the time anymore unfortunately, and with the tiredness that comes along with having kids I can't concentrate as much as is required. Poker is good fun and keeps the brain ticking over. The most important thing is to be able to afford your losses, both from a general perspective and from your bankroll.

Pick a game and learn it properly (both in the sense of type of poker e.g. Hold 'em / razz etc and form of the game e.g. Cash game / tournie etc). Most people play hold 'em which is really simple on the surface but there is loads to learn.

Be realistic about your intentions as well. If you want to seriously make money, don't just gamble. If you enjoy gambling in the sense of taking silly odds etc. don't expect to make much.

Online it's all about maths (on a really basic level pot odds vs outs vs what you think the other person has). There are a few tells you can use but nothing like the information you get sitting across the table from your opponents when playing live.

There is skill most definitely. It's why the same players win in the long run once short term chance goes out of the equation. It takes patience as well. A lot of patience and logical thinking. Emotion can fuck you up.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Wear dark glasses. Always pay to see cards, don't show yours unless you are holding a winning hand. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    One of the last times I played poker, quite a few years back, my hand comprised four Aces. Needless to say, I backed it to the hilt. And came away a lot poorer. Yup, Straight Flush.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Rocker said:
    Always pay to see cards
    That's throwing money away if you don't have a decent hand.
    My V key is broken
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    holnrew said:
    Rocker said:
    Always pay to see cards
    That's throwing money away if you don't have a decent hand.
    No, it is telling everyone at the table that bluffing simply won't work. You might have the best hand!  Be slow at raising the bet or hardening for cards.  Remember every hands' a winner and every hands' a loser, so play what you were dealt.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4931

"The best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well, it went better than expected. Just small stake Texas Hold'em. Everyone put in £20 for chips, and  I walked away at the end of the night with £45. Chuffed.