Limited pedalboard space - is the Pangea the only option for me?

hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
edited November 2016 in FX

I am setting up a pedalboard for acoustic gigging which essentially will have the following:

Morley Tripler sending 3 signals to:

1. Boss SY300 with expression pedal and potentially its own Ditto looper
  2. Trio - DMBL overdrive - Nemesis with expression pedal - Blue Sky - EB volume pedal - Boomerang III looper
  3. Vocal Harmoniser

At the moment, the SY300 and vocal harmoniser will go direct to a small mixing desk. Signal path 2 will go to my acoustic amp with its DI to the mixing desk.

The idea is to do the normal sort of acoustic sets, but with additional twists such as the SY300 and some cool delays/reverbs in loops.

However, if there are places in songs where I fancy adding a touch of OD, I'd need to consider a normal electric amp and a method of getting its signal to the mixing desk given that this will most likely sound shite through the acoustic amp. All a bit of a faff.

However, I could put my EHX Switchblade ABY splitter in signal path 2 and send one side to the acoustic amp and the other to something like the Pangea. This would give the OD pedal effectively a power amp and cab to improve the sound, with the Pangea connecting to the mixer.

Is the Pangea the only smallish IR pedal? I've got a Two Notes CAB but its too big and I'm using it elsewhere. Do I need an IR pedal? Would a Palmer etc be good enough?

I really don't want to take another amp to a gig, given that the pedalboard is big and with the amp/guitar too, its more than enough kit to have to set up.

Any other thoughts? I'd probably be thinking about a second hand T5z in the mix too since that would negate the need for multiple guitars.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Would a H&K Redbox work does anyone know? I assume it would, but with just less tweakability than an IR based pedal
  • With the extra tweak ability of the Pangaea comes the temptation to fiddle with it until kingdom come. You could spend ages trying to find that perfect IR costing you money and time. I have one and I got bored very quickly of fiddling trying to get it to work. The Redbox might not be able to sound quite as good but it would be much simpler much quicker, it's a DI instead of a line out, and i think is a bit more rugged than the Pangaea.

Or a preamp style pedal could also work for you, one of the AMT character pedals would do the trick, and cheaper still
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic