Free the Tone Flight Time ?

What's Hot
AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
I know a few of you had one in the last year or two.
What are they like to live with and do you still have it?

Is there a better one or one that *you* found better for whatever reason?
I was looking at a DD500, now i'm not so sure.

Any experiences would help me a bit if you can and if there's a *much* better unit, what is it?
Does the flight time layer well with other delays and effects?

I've only ever owned simple, single pedal enclosure delay pedals so this would be my first big digital pedal if i get it.

Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Last year I had them all. I loved the flight time but to my ears the digital mode on the boss sounded every bit as good. 

Unlike others I liked the flight times digital displays. Real easy to use. But it's an expensive 1 trick pony. I still have the boss. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds great and is easier to use than it looks. I still have one after a few months. Shame its mono but thats ok.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • I loved mine - a very full, 3D sound... best digital I've heard...

BUT,

The lack of knobs made the user experience less than ideal for me, and the switching between settings was a bit of a faff.

It's less sexy, but the Boss DD500 is superior in every way imho.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Sounds great and is easier to use than it looks. I still have one after a few months. Shame its mono but thats ok.
    It does look quite easy to use yes, i'm not put off that at all but.......Wazmeister said:
    I loved mine - a very full, 3D sound... best digital I've heard...

BUT,

The lack of knobs made the user experience less than ideal for me, and the switching between settings was a bit of a faff.

It's less sexy, but the Boss DD500 is superior in every way imho.
    I can't get past this.
    It just is and as much as i want to look down and see the flight time in front of me, that's a LOT of money on a one trick pony, especially when the Boss actually does what the FT does, albeit maybe not in quite so much depth but then i'm definitely not any kind of guitar superforce.

Thanks for the input guys, unless i get really high before i go shopping, i think the Boss has won already.
    I have considered both and i'm really trying very hard NOT to misbehave like that again.

.........and then along comes the Keeley Dark Side.

Now i know how Perseus felt.

Hang on, i bought a modelling amp !
    How the hell did i get back into pedals?

Samaritans just aren't going to take this seriously, i know that.

I'm screwed.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    When I was close to buying one, the main attraction was the midi and presets.   If you don't need either then I'd just get a simple boss dd,  a bit more upmarket and handy for the quick timing divisions and tap would be the providence chrono after that if you want lots of prests and options  it's a tough call between the nemisis, flight time and dd500.  
    Having never really been into delays before it's all new and interesting so yes it's about all of it really.

I've recently discovered the Boss ES8 as well so Midi is something i want to try and the presets for the delay are going to be very useful.
  • I've had a Flight Time for almost 2 years and I honestly haven't considered another delay in that time.
    IMO the main attraction of the FT is the sound, it's spot on. Also, the modulation, filters and time setting are great.
    The interface takes a bit of getting used to and is difficult to adjust on a dark stage.
    As mentioned by others, the switching is frankly rubbish. I have the MC-3 switcher which is an absolute necessity.
    Also, prices have gone up so the Boss and Nemesis look good value.

• @Alnico - Dont get me wrong the FT sounds tremendous, and is much bettervthan the Chrono imho.

For what its worth, the Boss DD500 needs a bit of tweaking; the presets are average but the tweaking options are awesome. The SDD 3000, for example, nails the original bang on...

I sold my Boss, and the Nemesis has ended up being its replacement. Very versatile and simole to use...

A real musical one trick pony option is the Dunlop Echoplex. A very musical pedal, which reminds me of the FT in its sound.

• I love the Flight Time, by far my favourite delay and it has stayed on my board, longer than any other delay. Tried the Strymon delays, Eventide etc and simply prefer it.
    i love the display and find it easy to use.
    Never tried the boss, so can't give any meaningful comparison but may now try one, the next time I am at a shop out of curiosity.

I would have to agree and disagree with @Wazmeister about the echoplex, I agree that it is a nice pedal, but having had 2 Flight Time's on my board for over a year, I recently tried the Dunlop and thinking they were similar never crossed my mind
  • I'd have though the echoplex was more like a tape delay than a digital delay? 

• edbolivar said:
    I love the Flight Time, by far my favourite delay and it has stayed on my board, longer than any other delay. Tried the Strymon delays, Eventide etc and simply prefer it.
    i love the display and find it easy to use.
    Never tried the boss, so can't give any meaningful comparison but may now try one, the next time I am at a shop out of curiosity.

I would have to agree and disagree with @Wazmeister about the echoplex, I agree that it is a nice pedal, but having had 2 Flight Time's on my board for over a year, I recently tried the Dunlop and thinking they were similar never crossed my mind
    I didnt explain it so well !

Sure they sound different, but the EP has a sinilar 3D and fullness; 'room filling' if you like. Also, the EP can be used remarkably clean, to offer those digital esq sounds...
  • Definitely agree about the EP being very clean
  • @Wazmeister million dollar question...if it can match the FT could it potentially knock off the El Cap too? Does it sound as good?

• Tape mode on dd500 is a weak point imo
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    I haven't tried a DD500 but I can totally agree with the positives and negatives of the Flight time. Tonal monster, shame not stereo.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Agreed, lack of stereo is a real shame.

• Not if you use one amp ;-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    But run a FT into a Boss DD500 and it is stereo whether the boss is on or not !

I am having to try so hard not to get both it's stupid.
    If it weren't for the Keeley dark side, i would do but the DS wins when paired with the DD500.

I can see the FT coming in next year though.

Why did they make it so attractive to look at?
    I grew up with products that has that red led display so no it's instantly endearing to me.

And green and black too ?

Bastards !
  • Seriously. I had both. Flight time is not worth it. For that sound the dd500 has it nailed.
    edited November 2016
    The DD500 is definite now, as is the Dark Side with it's Echorec type multi head delay which will feed nicely into the DD.

How is the looper on the DD500? Also, are any of you using external switches for bank / patch on the DD 500, maybe leaving it's own switches for the looper? Or is it just "Get a Midi Controller" ?