Ketogenic diet

What's Hot
I'm looking to do keto for about a month or so, starting from my next dole payment. I'm going to do a meal plan for the first couple of weeks, but after that I'm hoping I'll have got into the swing of it. Anybody experienced with it and got any advice? 

I did Atkins when I was 18/19 but I don't remember much other than sweating loads and bad breath. I'm vegetarian now, so i imagine I'll be eating a lot of eggs and cheese. There's a good subreddit for veggie keto too where I've been getting some good info.

Will it affect my mood much? I have pretty bad hanger problems, and I'm a bit of a moody bitch anyway. Is it safe to do couch to 5k at the same time?
My V key is broken
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15987
    can one fry these ketogenics?
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15987
    Darlin', put the keto on
    tae be or not tae be
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • With diets the body breaks down muscle as well as fat unless you do exercise, so you need to do something to stop that happening. Reading a bit on the ketogenic diet they seem to recommend a couple of weeks to gradually change over, if you do it overnight you'll just feel shit. 
    It's low carb but also restricted protein so it's not cheese omelettes all the time. If you only do it for a limited period you'll probably bounce back, put any weight loss back on quickly. 
    It's interesting but probably not what your GP or a dietician would advise you to do. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrew said:
    I'm looking to do keto for about a month or so, starting from my next dole payment. I'm going to do a meal plan for the first couple of weeks, but after that I'm hoping I'll have got into the swing of it. Anybody experienced with it and got any advice? 

I did Atkins when I was 18/19 but I don't remember much other than sweating loads and bad breath. I'm vegetarian now, so i imagine I'll be eating a lot of eggs and cheese. There's a good subreddit for veggie keto too where I've been getting some good info.

Will it affect my mood much? I have pretty bad hanger problems, and I'm a bit of a moody bitch anyway. Is it safe to do couch to 5k at the same time?

ive been using it for about 4 months, not completely disciplined with it, but it works for me. Its fascinating to see the myth busted that fat makes you fat. all these people having low fat milk, yogurt, cheese etc are wasting their time regards weightloss. And it tastes crap aswell, Double thick cream in my tea now, no milk. Mmmm

its sugar that gets stored as fat, not the healthy fat like avocados, coconut oil, cheese, grass fed butter. You can eat this till you cant eat no more. Pasta, rice, spuds, bread all convert to sugar. There are lots of vids on youtube, id recommend searching for Eric Berg who has lots of short vids on nutrition and how foods affect the body

Fats keep you satiated longer with steady blood sugar and helps cut snacking, sugar tooth etc. Strawberries and extra thck double cream, yes sir!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    I don't know how old you are but, by the phrasing, I'll assume it was a good few years since you did the Atkins. I'll also assume that if you're looking at a new diet then the Atkins didn't work. This is just a variation on that theme. You need to adopt eating habits that are healthy from the get-go - 'I'll eat more healthily after I've lost the weight', as you know, rarely happens, however good your intentions are now.

As you're vegetarian you should look at perhaps making the move towards veganism - I say this only because a lot of vegetarians actually rely on poor/junk food to get their calories (lots of eggs and cheese isn't going to be healthy). The same can be said of veganism but I find that vegans are often forced into researching their choices and so tend to make healthier ones. I would say you should make a concerted effort to get a lot of fibre in your diet - supplement a breakfast of porridge (stone cut oats) each morning with chia seeds, flaxseed, psyllium husks etc - great for avoiding hunger pangs and vital for good heart health.  Also look at trying to get a cupful of beans (not baked) into your diet on a daily basis. Investing in a decent pressure cooker will soon see returns on your money if you buy dried beans etc.

Planning your meals is an excellent way to stay on track even if you know you're playing a psychological trick on yourself: 'this is my allottment for today - no more'. If you're out of work at the moment, beware of boredom/depression eating.

The old mantra 'eat food, mostly plants, not too much' is a good base to start from. Exercise, I think, is a little overrated when it comes to weight-loss but, again, vital to health and ultimately good fun. Body-weight exercises are free and effective and a good yoga book might be worth investigating. Also look at joining/starting a five-a-side team, badminton club, boxing gym, polo club - essentially: taking up a sport. Practising your scales is worth doing, but playing songs brings you back to the instrument.

An answer to a question you didn't ask but I really do wish you well in getting healthier and hope you find work soon.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I tried vegan for a bit, it was too difficult to do on a budget. I know it's possible, but iI found it too hard. I've actually lost three stone from my heaviest, Half of that was in the last year.

I have another reason to try keto, I have a fatty liver, the diet is good for overcoming that.
    My V key is broken
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drop the vegetarianism.

Eat chicken, turkey, fish, steak (but not too often). Brown rice. Egg whites (not the yolks). Beans. Broccoli and other green vegetables.

Eat a piece of fruit every day. Apple, banana, oranges, apricots.

Drink water. Green tea. Fennel tea. Jasmine tea. A few cups of black tea or coffee is fine, but don't have tons every single day. Drink water.

Go running. Three times a week - Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Take Saturday and Sunday off. Start off at as many kilometres as you can do. Do it in bursts - 10 seconds fast, 10 seconds slow. Walk if you have to. Just do it. Build up to longer distances and faster paces. Go swimming. If your knees can't take the running, then replace one or two days with cycling.

When you get peckish and want to snack, don't consume sugar. Consume some nuts, not the salty ones. Almonds are good.

Don't allow yourself a garbage day.

Do that for a year solidly. Your health will improve, you will lose weight, and you'll feel less anxious.

It really IS that simple. It's just fucking hard to stick to because let's be frank... IT IS FUCKING BORING!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33837
    ^^^ this.
    Dont bother with keto.
    I've done it before and it works but it is much harder to maintain and as soon as you come off it you will rebound.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7933
    A friend of mine is s doctor.  He's done Keto/LCHF, run all his own blood work. He highly recommends it.