UFC/MMA fans?

What's Hot
Sat waiting for McGregor vs Alvarez after some excellent fights. Hoping for McGregor to win but a tough fight ahead. Who else is into the sport?
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• am, I train BJJ & kickboxing a few times a week. Been following UFC for quite a while now.
     I've not seen last nights fights and won't till tonight- small children preclude me watching it at 3am (although I was up feeding my youngest) and I don't really want my 5 year old watching it yet.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Used to be. I still follow it, keep up to date but never really watched it much over the last 8 or 9 years. 

When I lived in Liverpool I really should have joined Next Gen gym, went for one training session after I moved away and really enjoyed it. Seemed like a cool place, the one in Carlisle didn't give me that same impression.
  • No spoilers here, @stimpsonslostson ;

I grew up wanting to box but was too shy and was too self-conscious about getting my already big nose broken! I tried kickboxing and enjoyed it but they moved the gym, it became populated by the types who gave me grief for being a 'greebo' and I jacked in. So I suspect you got a pretty accurate impression, @Deijavoo ;

My band, Red For Dissent
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    I went to talk to the guy who runs it when would be good to come down, beginner sessions etc..

Yeah, didn't get a great impression.
  • I used to do some boxing when I was younger, my missus is doing MMA as a hobby for a few years now. And she is pretty good actually (record 2-0 in official fights at the moment).

We've watched UFC205 this morning. McGregor fight was shit - Alvarez was never a true challenge for Conor.

I wanted to watch if purely for Miesha Tate (who I am fan of for quite few years now) and mainly for Karolina Kowalkiewicz v Joanna Jędrzejczyk title fight - and it was a GREAT one!! 
  • Nabokovs_MonkeyNabokovs_Monkey Frets: 18
    edited November 2016
    Yep watched it this morning. Wonderboy fight was great. Mad watching Woodley tiring himself out trying to submit him with a neck choke. Shame Cerrone and Tim Kennedy fights were cancelled though.
  • Back as I've seen the fights now...

I used to do some boxing when I was younger, my missus is doing MMA as a hobby for a few years now. And she is pretty good actually (record 2-0 in official fights at the moment).

We've watched UFC205 this morning. McGregor fight was shit - Alvarez was never a true challenge for Conor.

I wanted to watch if purely for Miesha Tate (who I am fan of for quite few years now) and mainly for Karolina Kowalkiewicz v Joanna Jędrzejczyk title fight - and it was a GREAT one!! 
    I have to disagree with this. Alvarez was the UFC champion (and previously Belator and Bodog champion) of a weight class above McGregor, a weight class McGregor hadn't beaten anyone of note in. Diaz is tough hell, but he's not a contender. 
    I wouldn't have been surprised in the slightest had it give the other way. 
    Hats off to Conor, he's got crazy accuracy & good power. He won convincingly.  I can't wait to see him v Nurmagomedov. 

After seeing Romero v Weidman I think Bisping is in trouble! 
  • I'm with @stimpsonslostson McGregor fought a legitimate champion. 

Agree on Bisping. I admire him but those crazy eyes are going to look worse after Romero blitzes him. Total mismatch from where I'm standing.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • I'm with @stimpsonslostson McGregor fought a legitimate champion. 

Agree on Bisping. I admire him but those crazy eyes are going to look worse after Romero blitzes him. Total mismatch from where I'm standing.

True
    Legitimate - yes, but he had nothing on McGregor - comparing to Diaz for instance.
    Of course - we can't blame Conor for his opponent chosing the wrong tactics  (why the hell Alvarez did not try to take him down earlier - two knockdowns in first round ffs) and being slower and less confident.
    I'm saying that for the 'main fight' it was disappointing. 
    Comparing to the the skill and technique from two Polish ladies - it was just a little bonus.
    Always good to watch Conor though - but hope they'll give him a real deal next time. (Tyron Woodley asked for him already ;-) )
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2909
    I used to do some boxing when I was younger, my missus is doing MMA as a hobby for a few years now. And she is pretty good actually (record 2-0 in official fights at the moment).

Hi Kris. Amazing women and what a moment for Poland :)

i was banging the drum for these two amazing lady's all last week to my Polish students and anyone else who would listen. 
  • blueskunk said:

Hi Kris. Amazing women and what a moment for Poland :)

i was banging the drum for these two amazing lady's all last week to my Polish students and anyone else who would listen. 

Hey man! hope things are all well with you buddy! :)

Yeah - great fight that one. JJ was a massive favourite , being undefeated champ but Karolina surely made her work for the win! Can't wait for her next fight.
  • did you watch the Nurmagomedov fight ??? holy shit, if i was Conor I would try to give it a wide berth...

i think he would beat him standing up no problem, but i've never seen anyone force takedowns, and have such a punishing ground game as Khabib.

but imagine being the guy to be the first to beat him, Conor loves that shit :)

• Nurmagomedov is a beast. It could be a real war. I think a break will do Conor good - and he should give up the featherweight title. I think lightweight is his best division.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Nurmagomedov's biggest downfall is he is injury prone. 2 fights since April 2014 because of knee injuries.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3354
    edited November 2016
    Yeah been a fan for years. Got up to watch it live and I've been to last years UFC in Vegas last September. 

Joanna fought well as did her opponent, wonderboy lived up to his name, how he didn't pass out or tap out is  a true wonder. 

Mcgregor fight just showed his class or lack there of of the opposition. Who does he fight next,I wouldn't want to go up against the Russian who's name I can't spell. 

I love Bisping but he's going to get his arse handed to him by Yoel 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5006
    edited November 2016
    How anyone can call UFC a sport is beyond me.  100% hyped up BS.  I suppose it appeals to a certain type.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2173
    I used to watch it years ago. But we are talking about ken shamrock era.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Rocker said:
    How anyone can call UFC a sport is beyond me.  100% hyped up BS.  I suppose it appeals to a certain type.....
    1. UFC isn't a sport. MMA is. =) 

2. I think that's a horrible generalisation.
    Speaking as someone who's done a variety of martial arts since the age of 10 and followed the sport of MMA for several years, I find that there ARE a (vocal) minority of fans who just want to see blood and violence, much as there are Ultras and other idiots at football matches- they don't represent the entirety of the fan base. 
    The vast majority of the MMA fans I know are knowledgeable, passionate and respectful- which is hardly surprising as these are qualities that most if not all Martial Arts instil in their practitioners. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    A fine example of how to sound supremely ignorant. A 'certain type'? Wow.

My band, Red For Dissent
  • Rocker said:

LOL.

You sir, are either a troll or a person lacking in knowledge what sport really is.
    Certain type? I would not go that far even with the whole equestrian competitions. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom