UFC/MMA fans?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Rocker said:
    How anyone can call UFC a sport is beyond me.  100% hyped up BS.  I suppose it appeals to a certain type.....
    Or you could sound a lot less like a dick and say you don't like MMA.

And keep out of threads about MMA, minimizing your contact with MMA. 
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Pardon my ignorance of this guys, but the so called sport that Conor McGregor fights in is what I meant.  Almost bare knuckle fighting with no apparent rules.  How can that be a sport.

And no @BigBearKris, I am not a troll and I do follow National Hunt racing, football and rugby and I play golf.  I feel that I have a reasonable grasp of what sport is.  But the game that Conor McGregor fronts is not sport.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24621
    Rocker said:
    Pardon my ignorance of this guys, but the so called sport that Conor McGregor fights in is what I meant.  Almost bare knuckle fighting with no apparent rules.  How can that be a sport.

And no @BigBearKris, I am not a troll and I do follow National Hunt racing, football and rugby and I play golf.  I feel that I have a reasonable grasp of what sport is.  But the game that Conor McGregor fronts is not sport.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:

Well, it's a shame that you think that. It's Mixed Martial Arts and there are many excellent athletes who are an absolute top in what they do.
    There ARE rules and time diss that sport purely because you are unfamiliar with them - that's ignorance. If you don't like it - no worries, I don't like some sports either. But I refuse to be an ignorant regarding these. :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5420
    edited November 2016
    Rocker said:

It IS a sport. There ARE (many) rules. 
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_martial_arts_rules#Unified_Rules_of_Mixed_Martial_Arts

Out of interest do you follow boxing at all? Do you consider that to be a sport? What is it about MMA you dislike- I'm genuinely curious to know. My wife used to hate me watching it until I watched a fight and explained it step by step now she understands the various phases & enjoys (or at least tolerates) it being on tv. 

In terms of striking I actually prefer MMA to boxing- I think the standing 8 count in boxing is a recipe for serious brain injury down the line. 

The grappling and striking of a downed opponent often cause some discomfort/confusion to the uninitiated. The grappling in particular looks messy and boring until you understand what's going on- every hand/hip/leg/head movement from both fighters has a purpose in these situations.

The "ground and pound" where a fighter is raining blows onto a prone opponent is often hard to watch (even to someone who likes the sport as I do) the referee is expected to step in and end the fight before someone takes too much punishment. This DOES happen- you routinely see the loser protest that they were fine to continue. 

PS- there's WAY more debate out there as to whether Golf is a sport (or is it a game?) than there is about MMA.  ;)

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    MMA is without doubt a sport, and the pros are awesome athletes. Boxing has always been my sport, still keep my hand in, but it has gone right down the tubes. Its awful now with total mismatches common, and the farce of belt dilution meaning you can have "world" champions of very very low ability. IMO, pro boxing is finished. When you have clowns like Tyson Fury filling the position of heavyweight champ, you know the sport has sounded its death knell. He wouldn't have lasted more than a round against even Frank Bruno in his prime. That;s how bad I think he is/was.

MMA is making a play to be the premier combat sport in terms of draw - its so compelling. Highly skilled, fast, brutal.

• Snap said:
    IMO, pro boxing is finished. When you have clowns like Tyson Fury filling the position of heavyweight champ, you know the sport has sounded its death knell. He wouldn't have lasted more than a round against even Frank Bruno in his prime. That;s how bad I think he is/was.

This is very true. Great shame, as I remember '90 and how big the pro boxing was (not to mention all the earlier decades with some true champions).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3344
    As everyone else has already stated it is very much a sport with clearly defined rules. To the uninitiated it may look brutal and chaotic but there's clever time honed skills on display. 
    Id love to link the study but I can't find it , it clearly displayed that there was far less potential for significant injuries in mma than boxing due to the fact the gloves are lighter and less padded therefore it hurts the hand to punch another mans skull, many fighters actually break their own hand during boutes. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    edited November 2016
    @stimpsonslostson I used to watch boxing when the scoring system made sense. Now that amateur boxing is scored in a similar way to pro boxing, I am not interested. Hit to score and not get hit, now it is aggression that decides bouts. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2899
    Rocker said:
    How anyone can call UFC a sport is beyond me.  100% hyped up BS.  I suppose it appeals to a certain type.....
    Your getting chicken winged mate ;)
  • Oh look,  Rocker is doing his whole trolling dressed as ignorance schtick again.