My Cleanness is playing up

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2231
edited November 2016 in FX

The Dr Scientist Cleanness my favourite pedal, and the sodding footswitch has started playing up. Yesterday I couldn't engage the pedal at all, and I'm worried it's going to give up the ghost. It's been working sporadically recently, but get the feeling that it's only a matter of time and I don't think I can do without one: having a Space at the end of my chain, I need a good buffer/boost at 18V for the headroom, it really helps me retain my tone. Without the Cleanness, even with the Space not being engaged I do experience some tone loss.

Is there an alternative to The Cleanness, if worst comes to worst? Should I try and find a used Elements instead?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24369
    Replace the switch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2231
    edited November 2016
    Replace the switch.

And if the problem isn't just the switch? I did say "if worst comes to worst" in the OP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    edited November 2016
    A tuner pedal? Like a boss one.

Empress buffer or some other buffer.

Or get your pedal a) fixed by @juansolo if he can help (I imagine it's a cheap 3dpt thing or whatever they are called) B have it modded so its always on (I seem to recall you do have it always on?)

C) but a Cornish or a klon :-p
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • A tuner pedal? Like a boss one.

Empress buffer or some other buffer.

Or get you pedal a) fixed by @juansolo if he can help (I imagine it's a cheap 3dpt thing or whatever they are called) B) have it modded so its always on (I seem to recall you do have it always on?)

C) but a Cornish or a klon :-p
    A Klon it is! I'll go and sell the rest of my board and one of my kidneys! :)

• Open up the pedal. If the switch is attached with wire and not pcb mounted, then replacing the switch is easy. I've had to do a few pedals now (empress trem, soulfood - that was a bastard, voodoo vibe +). Such a weak point of too many  "expensive" pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If worse comes to worst, it explodes in your car, destroying all your other pedals, setting your guitar on fire and causing you to veer off the motorway, crash through a railing and land on the railway line below. A train carrying spent nuclear waste from Sellafield plows into the burning wreckage of your car, and due to a poor weld caused by a containment manufacturer's welder going through a bad divorce, the nuclear waste leaks out of the pod into the nearby river, where - due to the torrential rain now falling - the water is swept into a drinking water treatment plant, setting off all the alarms. Unfortunately, the only person who knows how to fix the plant is held up in traffic due to the earlier accident on the motorway, so the contaminated water makes it's way into the drinking water supply for London. The entirety of the capital becomes radiation poisoned, mass casualties overwhelm the NHS and riots ensue as people fight for treatment. The PM sends in the army to calm things but they discover that the radiation poisoning has caused a genetic mutation in the general population and they are now turning into Zombies, who overwhelm the army and spread out across the UK eating and infecting as they go. President Trump sees the chaos and launches pre-emptive nuclear strikes against the UK and all vessels leaving it. Putin mistakes this for an assault on Russia and so launches nukes at all pre-programmed targets. China does likewise.The entire population of the planet are killed and a nuclear winter that lasts 5 centuries begins.  

I'd probably just change the switch.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If worse comes to worst, it explodes in your car, destroying all your other pedals, setting your guitar on fire and causing you to veer off the motorway, crash through a railing and land on the railway line below. A train carrying spent nuclear waste from Sellafield plows into the burning wreckage of your car, and due to a poor weld caused by a containment manufacturer's welder going through a bad divorce, the nuclear waste leaks out of the pod into the nearby river, where - due to the torrential rain now falling - the water is swept into a drinking water treatment plant, setting off all the alarms. Unfortunately, the only person who knows how to fix the plant is held up in traffic due to the earlier accident on the motorway, so the contaminated water makes it's way into the drinking water supply for London. The entirety of the capital becomes radiation poisoned, mass casualties overwhelm the NHS and riots ensue as people fight for treatment. The PM sends in the army to calm things but they discover that the radiation poisoning has caused a genetic mutation in the general population and they are now turning into Zombies, who overwhelm the army and spread out across the UK eating and infecting as they go. President Trump sees the chaos and launches pre-emptive nuclear strikes against the UK and all vessels leaving it. Putin mistakes this for an assault on Russia and so launches nukes at all pre-programmed targets. China does likewise.The entire population of the planet are killed and a nuclear winter that lasts 5 centuries begins.  

All of this will happen anyway.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    If worse comes to worst, it explodes in your car, destroying all your other pedals, setting your guitar on fire and causing you to veer off the motorway, crash through a railing and land on the railway line below. A train carrying spent nuclear waste from Sellafield plows into the burning wreckage of your car, and due to a poor weld caused by a containment manufacturer's welder going through a bad divorce, the nuclear waste leaks out of the pod into the nearby river, where - due to the torrential rain now falling - the water is swept into a drinking water treatment plant, setting off all the alarms. Unfortunately, the only person who knows how to fix the plant is held up in traffic due to the earlier accident on the motorway, so the contaminated water makes it's way into the drinking water supply for London. The entirety of the capital becomes radiation poisoned, mass casualties overwhelm the NHS and riots ensue as people fight for treatment. The PM sends in the army to calm things but they discover that the radiation poisoning has caused a genetic mutation in the general population and they are now turning into Zombies, who overwhelm the army and spread out across the UK eating and infecting as they go. President Trump sees the chaos and launches pre-emptive nuclear strikes against the UK and all vessels leaving it. Putin mistakes this for an assault on Russia and so launches nukes at all pre-programmed targets. China does likewise.The entire population of the planet are killed and a nuclear winter that lasts 5 centuries begins.  

And I thought I was pessimistic!
  • The Dr Scientist Cleanness my favourite pedal, and the sodding footswitch has started playing up. Yesterday I couldn't engage the pedal at all, and I'm worried it's going to give up the ghost. It's been working sporadically recently, but get the feeling that it's only a matter of time and I don't think I can do without one: having a Space at the end of my chain, I need a good buffer/boost at 18V for the headroom, it really helps me retain my tone. Without the Cleanness, even with the Space not being engaged I do experience some tone loss.

Is there an alternative to The Cleanness, if worst comes to worst? Should I try and find a used Elements instead?

Contact Ryan at Dr Scientist. He's really helpful and might be able to advise / fix it.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    I have a Cleanness too. Decent alternative would be an RC Booster 

• Just get it to a pedal fixing person. And ask them if they can fit something more reliable. 

It's not always possible, but sometimes you can transplant a more reliable switching scheme in - it depends on the circuit and how much space is in the box. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    edited November 2016
    [pre-emptively deletes entire full-page anti-3PDT/true-bypass rant because just can't be bothered again]

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein