How long does it take to be able to play something recognisable

What's Hot
I had always wanted to play the guitar since i was very young but my family wasn't musical so was never encouraged- however when it was time to have a mid live crisis i decided i was going to learn- been at it for 6 months, seriously for 4 practice as much as i can  and with a recognised teacher- how long does it take to get the hang of the chords etc and be in a position where you can play something reasonable?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    Depends on you and your teacher, mostly your teacher.

I used to teach and most of my students were those who had been through one or two teachers and still couldn't play something properly from start to finish.  They would usually be suffering from one of two or three fundamental problems that had gone unaddressed: poor tempo/rhythm discipline, lack of correct hand movement meaning they never got to be smooth or just a lack of musicality arising from focusing on the wrong things while playing.

I'd say it would typically take 2-5 months for one of these guys to go from awkward to being able to play in a band on stage once they were given the correct instruction.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28735
    It also depends on your definition of recognisable, and what it is that you want to be able to play. Three Blind Mice or Wonderwall are a lot easier than Cliffs of Dover.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Try smoke on the water...
    edited November 2016
    Sporky said:
    It also depends on your definition of recognisable, and what it is that you want to be able to play. Three Blind Mice or Wonderwall are a lot easier than Cliffs of Dover.
    Well for the recognisable part I'd say that's too low a bar: it should be musical i.e. enjoyable for others to listen to, that's the benchmark for everyone.

As for going straight to virtuoso stuff I'd tell a beginner to forget it - try to run before you can walk and you'll likely end up doing neither.  Guitar's not like piano where you can effectively go straight to fancy classical pieces with the right teaching method.  

Anyway he's talking about chords so he's likely struggling with the physical act of changing chords smoothly. This is fixed by isolating the hands, practising the changes (e.g. C major to G major is a classic beginners struggle with as they often don't realise that the wrist/arm has to turn to put the fingers in position) in the fretting hand slowly over and over, speeding up as the brain locks in what we know is actually a very simple movement, but the brain can't do that until it knows exactly what that movement is.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lots of the 'depends.' 

A lot of songs don't have that much to them. At the basics there might be something like a verse chord pattern ( or riff) , one for the chorus, maybe a middle 8 or intro. There can be very little to actually get under your fingers, it's then knowing how everything repeats and ties together. There might also be a strum along version which gives a recognisable song or the recorded part version which might be less recognisable but forms part of the overall arrangement. 

If you've been seriously practising for 4 months you probably overtook me in about September and I've played in bands,etc. Really, been paid money and all sorts. Crazy. Although maybe not very good bands...on the other hand a solo acoustic performance of much interest would be beyond me as I've never really tried to work towards that. So, one of the 'depends' are your goals. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28735
    mixolyd said:
    Sporky said:
    Well for the recognisable part I'd say that's too low a bar: it should be musical i.e. enjoyable for others to listen to, that's the benchmark for everyone.

As for going straight to virtuoso stuff I'd tell a beginner to forget it - try to run before you can walk and you'll likely end up doing neither.  Guitar's not like piano where you can effectively go straight to fancy classical pieces with the right teaching method.  
    Well, yes, I went for deliberately skewed bookends. It still makes a difference what you're aiming for.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Thanks for you input - when i say practicing i mean the basics - my teacher has been focusing on rhythm, beat and correct hand position along  with theory and with a lesson every fortnight i guess i am on track
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3014
    Pick four chords A,C,D,G or whatever you are comfortable with. Sit in front of the TV changing between them until it becomes second nature and you can do it without looking down. Play through any mistakes and keep a nice 4 rhythm going - regardless of how accurately you hit the right string combination.

This builds muscle memory which is the thing you don't have at the moment. Squeezing a squash ball can also help build strength.

You can already play guitar, you just can't get that tune in your head down yet. Six months muscle training and you will be flying after that. The other aspect is 'one finger per fret' playing. Pick a note on the bass E (the thick one!), any one will do then play any note nearby 1-2-3-4-5 and back again 5-4-3-2-1 using one finger per fret (note you need an extra finger for #5 unless you move something). You can move onto the A string if you want. Don't worry about what it sounds like at the moment, just get used to changing chords and running up and down the fretboard. [Sorry, theFretboard (tm)].

That's how I was told to learn and it's magic. Piss about all you want with amp pedals etc.. in between but keep these central for first 6 months.

As Bruce Lee once said "Don't think, FEEL"

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Thanks for the finger exercise tips - i do try and stretch fingers on left hand regularly - i assume the squash ball is for the left hand only 
    It can help, but it's no substitute for putting the hours in early days. Try and keep your left elbow away from your body while changing chords. Keeps the Left hand at 90Deg to the neck, later on you will figure out how to bend your wrist to achieve this. See mixolyd comment re: C-G change 
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    blobb said:
     Squeezing a squash ball can also help build strength.

It is a myth that you need strength in your hand to play guitar. You need to develop dexterity, not physical strength, in the hands.
    As I said, it can help. You still need some muscle conditioning. Dexterity comes from control and if you don't have controllable muscles then it can help to build them up. It also gets your brain to associate movement in the fingers in a way that you probably don't if you are not a guitar player.

To be honest I can't say I squeezed that much, I preferred to play. 

How did you learn? Any top tips to share with a fellow player? 

• From experience and other people's postings on here gripping the guitar neck too hard is a common beginner problem. With anything resembling a reasonable set up on acoustic or electric ( especially the latter) you can be quite light.

paul_c2 said:
    blobb said:
     Squeezing a squash ball can also help build strength.

It is a myth that you need strength in your hand to play guitar. You need to develop dexterity, not physical strength, in the hands.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited November 2016
    Deleted comment, thought better of it.
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    blobb said:

How did you learn? Any top tips to share with a fellow player? 

The OP says he has a teacher, and has been playing 6 months or so. A teacher should be able to provide a reasonable mix of abstract exercises, theory stuff (like scales etc), useful stuff on chords and progressions; but also, graded pieces of music to play (along to). I don't mean the ABRSM grades or whatever, but be able to find something reasonable to play for a beginner which is achievable, and encouraging.

Unfortunately, its a bit difficult to relate my own guitar playing to a "normal" learning progression - I took up guitar about 30 years ago and played for 6 months, then switched to bass. I took a few formal lessons in this, but mainly self-taught and also an amount of time not playing it before I took it up seriously again. Then, I bought an electric guitar a few months ago, so this time round my "learning" has been somewhat accelerated by previous knowledge of guitar, and knowledge of playing bass.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    When you can play what you want to play, then you have reached your goal.  Three chords may be all you need.  If you want to 'improve' to playing in different keys or adding solo breaks, they you reset your goal.  My main point is to set the bar low and keep increasing the height until you feel that it is high enough.  Remember three chords can give you lots of fun.  And keep it fun.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I taught myself, using a really good book, and after about 6 months I felt confident enough to join a band. Once in a band my ability lept up. Playing with other people, can't beat it.

As for playing something recognisable, well right from the off I would sit down for hours playing along to all sorts of music, starting off one note at a time and building from there.

Love by the Cult from 1985 was my main tuition book!

• really can i ask how old you were as i  have come to the a bit later in life
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I would have been 14 when I started on guitar. I'd been taught paion since I was about 6 upto then, but decided I needed to play a cooler instrument!

I played it every day, relentlessly. Also would sit wathcing TV with my fingers in a bowl of surgical spirit to toughen the callouses.