Arturia Keylab 49 - made from wafer thin plastic... oh dear

What's Hot
The chain goes like this
I have a 2012 mac mini (Mavericks) with Logic x and an M-audio Oxygen 8. 
Latest Logic update requires Yosemite
Oxygen doesn't run on Yosemite as it's an unsigned driver

So I decided that it's about time I replaced my 20 year old Oxygen with something bigger, newer and better. The Arturia Keylab 49 ticked all my boxes.  Lots of pads, .nki compliance and a good bundle.

Came yesterday

4 keys broken in transit all sticking up in the air. Opened up the panel and the plastic retainers that act against the spring are made from the flimsiest plastic going. it's 1mm thin. Guess the courier dropped the package. But I'm quite shocked at how poorly made these are, really built to lowest spec possible. Odd as the rest of the package seems quite good and you'd think the keys are the bit that gets the most action.

Anyhow, it's playable, so opened a support ticket to get the keyboard replaced. In the meantime, thought I'd register the software. 

Unit already registered.

So, not just a British problem... sold as a brand new keyboard. Clearly a return.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    wow. That is piss poor. Surprising too.

I bought a novation launchkey mini the other week as I wanted a portable, ready to grab 25 key controller so I didn't ahve to get my 88key out every time. Also, the mini has a load of controllers on it, and 16 pads. So, unknown to me (bought on a whim without research) it won't map to Sonar.

Great. Lesson learned.

It is nicely built though!!
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    edited November 2016
    I have a novation SL zero (as a mixing controller) seems pretty well put together -  kind of wish I'd gone that route though.
    Good news is shop are replacing mine. they say they shipped a return by accident... though it wasn't broken when shipped.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    I've read about problems with the Arturia keyboards. A common one seems to be the weights on the keys coming loose and needing to be glued back on. Hope your replacement was better!
  • Haven't got it yet - should arrive on tuesday. To be fair, the shop have sorted it out really well - and actually they have laid the blame on DPD who are coughing up for a new one. They also had the keyboard registered to the store and deregistered straight away. To say sorry they are giving me the version with a bonus software pack, which is a nice tough

Net result is that as DPD are going to pay via insurance, I get to keep both keyboards :) 
  • I follow a synth repair group on Facebook. I see an awful lot of Arturias on there, complete with complaints about lack of customer service.
    Wouldn't touch one with a bargepole, myself.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    edited November 2016
    So, new one arrived. Half the keys don't work. 
    20 mins and about 30 screws later, loose cable. The cable between keyboard and motherboard is so loosely held in place. I put it back in with some tape holding it.

Finally working.

Think Arturia will be on my HW avoid list - shame as I really want a drum brute! 

You could never, ever tour with this thing.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom