EHX Crayon

lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
I've been looking this evening at the EHX Crayon and think it sounds good. I can't find though what the differences are between the two versions...anyone able to help?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Magnetic_EffectsMagnetic_Effects Frets: 135
    tFB Trader
    I believe the graphics are the only difference. 
  • Just different graphics on the front - same internals.
  • Anyone got any experience of them? I have the Soul Food already, not sure whether the Crayon will be a good addition
  • What kind of OD is it?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • What kind of OD is it?
    According to EHX it's a " Full range overdrive" http://www.ehx.com/products/crayon ;
  • I don't get what a full range OD is really. Is it their take on a Timmy? I guess Timmy is full range, right? As it's quite transparent and can accentuate certain frequencies to your tastes. A Klon is more mid based, is that correct? I'm probably really wrong!

• I don't get what a full range OD is really. Is it their take on a Timmy? I guess Timmy is full range, right? As it's quite transparent and can accentuate certain frequencies to your tastes. A Klon is more mid based, is that correct? I'm probably really wrong!
    I think that's basically it. Haven't played a Crayon myself but the consensus online seems to be it's the EHX take on a Timmy. It seems like it doesn't boost mids or cut bass like a lot of overdrives tend to do, which makes the independent bass and treble controls more useful.

The Soul Food tends to stack well with most things so I can't imagine there being any problem with the Crayon, but it won't be drastically different in terms of gain range.
  • Nice one @jpttaylor ;

• Anyone got any experience of them? I have the Soul Food already, not sure whether the Crayon will be a good addition
    I've had one for a few months and I'm really happy with it. I've got an SD1 for more mid-boosted sounds but I find myself using the Crayon most of the time - it's a lot 'fuller' and 'crisper' sounding, and the 2-band EQ is useful if you're using it as a boost rather than overdrive.

When I first plugged into it I thought "this sounds exactly like it did on Youtube", so if you like how it sounds in demo videos then you should be happy with it.