How can I improve my singing?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    octatonic said:
    This misunderstands what having lessons does- which is to get you to harness what you have and do it safely.
    Singing is hard on the body- most singers I've worked with have had problems with their voice- the self taught ones seem to have more trouble than those who learn a bit of technique.

I think axisus should have lessons but he has absolutely ruled it out.
    He should reconsider.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited November 2016
    I wish Drew was around, he had a load of lessons and is an amateur authority on overcoming  it. 

But anyway, if you're not pushing any air, because you are too shy or whatever, then you'll never know what kind of voice you have or how to change the resonance or timbre of it.  It's kind of just like starting the guitar, I started by imitating and trying to emulate tones made by singers I felt were vaguely in my range and I worked out my range by starting on an E2 (Low E on the guitar) and going up a major scale with the guitar notes, the next E being an E3 and so on and also going down from E2.  The octave number, whatever it is changes on a C and is relative to middle C on a piano.  So C2 D2 E2 F2 G2 A2 B2 C3 D3 E3 etc.

I can't sing anything anyone else can but I know I've got something because women have complimented me on my voice?  Strange and when I sing and am not pissing about or at home and am actually pushing air, only one other bloke out of maybe 50 can hit the low notes I can belt out.  While it doesn't make me a good singer in the least, I'm useless,  Like I said I've met people who can sing lower and way higher with real volume, finding artists who are vaguely within your range helps and grabbing an acoustic helps you practice singing and helps with the reliability and muscle memory factor as well as your rhythm on the guitar.

Also get a capo and adjust the pitch to suit, you might well surprise yourself.

If you have no idea where your chest and head voice lie, start out with an E2 and go upwards.

When you think that Middle C on the piano is right in the middle of the board and is a C4, and that the piano an instrument designed to invoke all the tones that move people, when you can't even reach a middle C, which is probably the optimum volume in terms of human's ability to hear it, because the hearing curve drops off at either end, it's all pretty depressing, so you have to go your own way.

Resurrect the singing thread and post it up.  We weren't all born with Filipino parents.

It's all muscle memory, as other more sensible people have said lessons is the ideal, but from a DIY feeling yer quiet as a church mouse perspective, start with a ballsy Yee hooo, it's socially acceptable, then you'll remember how to do it at volume and repeat it, that muscle memory, then sing your scales, find out where your chest voice cuts out on the higher pitch, then find a load of music or a style that suits your range, like Country or folk for example as opposed to Justin Timberlake.  Then look up some Youtube videos on how to improve your head voice and the rest is practice.  Never scream though and look up videos on how to open up and support yourself so you can push the air.

When I do a Yee hoo down the pub everyone goes quiet and looks at me.  Who cares man.  I'm pissed.  Freedom.

After 5 or 6 pints of 6% I start singing and always join in the communal malarky bollocks singing, usually messing around doing a bassline.  Sometimes I stop myself because I've had 7 or 8 and can't remember the tune or the words and it's going a bit funny, sometimes it's spot on so I continue.  But whatever, it's all building subconscious muscle memory and if you don't push air, you won't even begin to begin.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been embarrassed by my lack of singing ability for years. I was in the choir at school for years in the long lost past. Decided to bite the bullet this year, and signed up for a basic singing evening class, which started in mid September. Was scared stiff before I went for the first time, but came away with a big smile. 10 to 12 of us turn up on a weekly basis for a one and a half hour session. We've been taught about warming yourself and your voice up, and sung a variety of songs. We done things like 4 part harmony or singing in rounds besides some easier singing in unison.  The occasional person has done a brief solo part, though I've not put myself forward for this yet.
    edited November 2016
    I was offered a place in a choir, one of these Charity things sponsored by local businesses.  They are all baritones, tenors, mostly old ladies if I'm honest, should have taken the opportunity but can't be arsed driving in the dark for an hour each way after work.  The pissed pub shanties and communal songs are pretty good practice though, everyone wnats to sing when they're pissed, as has been doing a few duets with a girl.  No way I could have ever been in the choir as my voice was like Zed's for the best part of 5 years.  It also hard to shake the noise of the recorded cassette tape GCSE French Oral out of my mind, it stayed with me for decades, I think it's finally being put to rest though.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    Skipped said:
    octatonic said:
    This misunderstands what having lessons does- which is to get you to harness what you have and do it safely.
    Singing is hard on the body- most singers I've worked with have had problems with their voice- the self taught ones seem to have more trouble than those who learn a bit of technique.

I think axisus should have lessons but he has absolutely ruled it out.
    He should reconsider.
    My apologies- I misread.
    edited November 2016
    Right, I've just been practising Waylon Jennings Good ol' boys tune again in E.  It's high for me even in E, but I've just about remembered how to open up and sing the bridge part in my throat without closing up and sounding like Peewee Herman.  It's all muscle memory, a few lessons and you'll be more advanced than I am in...erm...probably coming up over a year or two now practising on my own...rarely.  It's really your choice @axisus  ; anyway now I deserve some beer.  To the pub.