Just had a free lesson with Nigel Price!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• @Megii Did he say that when doing the arpeggio exercise to just stay within 5frets? 
    Also sorry to torture but what was his picking technique? Hybrid or all fingers?.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    @Megii Did he say that when doing the arpeggio exercise to just stay within 5frets? 
    Also sorry to torture but what was his picking technique? Hybrid or all fingers?.
    No worries @Niallseroreilly - re the linking arpeggios exercise, yes, he was specifically saying pick any 5 fret region, and then stay within it while working through the chord sequence for whatever standard you're practicing. I guess when you can do this at speed, in all of the possible positions/5 fret ranges, you will be bound to have acquired a certain level of mastery!

As to his picking technique - I wasn't really focusing on that at the workshop, but I think when he's doing single note soloing it's largely pick only, and then there might be the odd specific lick or trick where he does use a bit of hybrid. When he's doing chordal stuff, I have seen him use pick and fingers. And sometimes he plays full fingerstyle i.e. using thumb and all the fingers, and he has this useful trick where he's able to stash the pick at the base of his 3rd finger while doing this - it allows him to swap very quickly between pick style and fingerstyle playing. I once asked him about this at the end of a concert (last year), and he let me in on the "secret" so I do know I'm right about that one. Tried it myself, but haven't got the knack I'm afraid! :) 

• Really appreciate it @Megii Its tips like these that i feel can really make the penny drop and help you turn a corner in your playing. Thank you