What fx would you suggest for tame impala sounds ?

What's Hot
I want to add a little of Tames first album sound to the band. What pedals would you suggest.

Now I know he uses a small stone but I kinda want a phase 90. Not sure it will do the same sounds though

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I wouldn't worry too much about the brand of phaser. As long as it's set to relatively slow, then it'll be fine.

A big part of what makes Kevin Parker's sound so different isn't so much the pedals he uses, but the order he puts them in. Putting a reverb before a distortion/fuzz that then goes into a phaser creates a weird and unusual blooming to the notes.

In terms of pedals, a Phase 90 would be a great phaser. Any reverb that can do a relatively wet sound will do. Regarding a fuzz, I'd suggest moving away from a Muff because the huge bass response might make it a bit too flubby. What kind of budget are you on? For sub-£40, I'd suggest something like the Tone City Fuxx Fuzz (aka Movall Octapuzz) which sits really nicely in the mix.
  • I have big muff varients. That price sounds good. I wanted to get a mini board so that would fit in. 

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited November 2016
    If the only thing you're worried about is the size, EHX does a small version of the small stone that's a similar size to the phase 90.

I don't know anything about tame impala but, while they both sound like phasers, they don't really sound exactly the same either. That being said, depending on exactly what type of phase tone you want, it's entirely possible that either pedal might do it just fine. I like both of them.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    edited November 2016
    There's actually a video on YouTube somewhere of a guy using effects to specifically get the Tame Impala sound (he also does the same for bands like White Stripes, Mastodon etc with slightly mixed results). It's really well presented and the guy knows his onions. I would try and find it but I've just got in to work and I don't have time.
  • Dopesick said:
    There's actually a video on YouTube somewhere of a guy using effects to specifically get the Tame Impala sound (he also does the same for bands like White Stripes, Mastodon etc with slightly mixed results). It's really well presented and the guy knows his onions. I would try and find it but I've just got in to work and I don't have time.
    That sounds like something Rabea Masaad (not sure on spelling) would do. 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    edited November 2016
  • Cool thanks.

will check it when I get home.

• pmgpmg Frets: 298
    And this