Dash cams?

What's Hot
Can anyone recommend a dash cam for me? I drive every day and, having seen a bit of an incident yesterday, I wonder if it would be useful. 

Do they constantly record, and erase after an hour or something? So you always have an hour of footage on it, and you stop it if anything happens. 

Do these stand up in court? Will the police accept them as evidence? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    edited November 2016
    I've been using this Transcend -- really happy with it. 
    No problems with it at all, Very clear footage in all light and night conditions. A 32 GB SD card holds about 5 hours in one minute files which seamlessly record the flow with the newest file over-writing the oldest one from 5 hours ago.
    For what it's worth I also got one of these suction mounts because when I first got the camera I couldn't decide where I wanted to place it on the windscreen so I thought this would be a temporary thing but I've been using it ever since. Literally about 3 seconds from getting in the car to sticking the camera on the windscreen. The power cable tucks up behind the sun visor and runs to a "cigar lighter" in the back of the car. Basically, you can work it so all the cabling is out of the way and tidy.

I've said this before but you get so used to it that you can't imagine driving without one. Pretty sure too that footage can be used as evidence -- EDIT: and a google supports that it can.

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5554
    Can they use your own footage against you in court? 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24622
    DiscoStu said:
    Yes.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStu said:

I'd assume so... Not sure. 

I drive well, but the incident I saw yesterday wound up with two people arguing, it was dark and one of the cars didn't have the lights on (!). I know I'm a good driver, like most folk, but if some twunt hits me because they're on their phone or doing their makeup I'd like some proof. 

• Grunfeld said:
    I've been using this Transcend -- really happy with it. 
    No problems with it at all, Very clear footage in all light and night conditions. A 32 GB SD card holds about 5 hours in one minute files which seamlessly record the flow with the newest file over-writing the oldest one from 5 hours ago.
    For what it's worth I also got one of these suction mounts because when I first got the camera I couldn't decide where I wanted to place it on the windscreen so I thought this would be a temporary thing but I've been using it ever since. Literally about 3 seconds from getting in the car to sticking the camera on the windscreen. The power cable tucks up behind the sun visor and runs to a "cigar lighter" in the back of the car. Basically, you can work it so all the cabling is out of the way and tidy.

I've said this before but you get so used to it that you can't imagine driving without one. Pretty sure too that footage can be used as evidence -- EDIT: and a google supports that it can.

Cheers, I'll look into that. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24429
    Google ”records himself speeding”.  Darwin would be proud.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24429
    PS - don't be tempted by the dirt cheap ones on eBay claiming to be full HD etc.  I tried two and they were absolute shit.  Barely Sinclair Spectrum video quality at 5 frames a second.  Get a branded name from a non-ebay site.  Better still, use the Dailyroads Voyager app on your phone.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    I use a nextbase 112 hardwired to my fuse box. I get about 3 hours footage at 720, it overwrites the oldest file first, but you can protect them at the press of a button, it's also got an inbuilt g sensor.

I don't notice it's there now and being hardwired in there's no wires to worry about.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    DiscoStu said:
    Yes.

Would deleting the files be a crime?
    My V key is broken
  • holnrew said:
    DiscoStu said:
    Yes.

I suppose if you don't press to save them it's deleted automatically anyway...
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2090
    Transcend here also...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33837
    DiscoStu said:
    Absolutely yes- I know a couple of bikers who have been done for driving offences due to their own footage being used against them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrew said:
    DiscoStu said:
    Yes.

Presumably only if you delete them after you've been asked for them by the court.
    <space for hire>