What budget interface?

Hi folks

I already have a DI box and a mixer.

I used to plug the mixer into my PCI sound card (I had an M-Audio 24/96) for recording but my new PC doesn't support PCI, only PCI-E.

What interface should I buy to let me do basic recording using my mixer etc? I don't want to spend a fortune or do anything complicated. The Alesis Core 1 caught my eye, any other recommendations?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    What do you want to record on it? Some of the cheaper ones don't have phantom power, which will be an issue if you later want to use a condenser microphone with them. I've not tested them all so I can only comment on the one I have, but I found it for £45, its a Lexicon Alpha and has 2 channels, instrument input, mic input, line in and out, etc. Also - unlike many others - it has a control to mix direct and playback (some just have a button or a switch), which is very useful.
  • My mixer has phantom power so that's not an issue. 

I also have a DI box so I'm covered for guitars, basses etc too - I just need something to connect mixer to PC. I'll check out that Lexicon. 
  • I've had a Lexicon Alpha, Line 6 Toneport UX2 and currently a Focusrite Solo. The solo is my favourite but nothing wrong with the others and all sub £50. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I really like the Presonus ones although I have only used Firewire ones, but would guess USB ones are pretty much the same. They're well-thought of for the quality of the preamps. 
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Things to look out for - make sure you can record at 24 bit (some of the older usb ones only do 16bit) - I assume since you are replacing the m-audio  you only require 2 in/out.  Something like 
    http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/M-Audio-M-Track-2x2M-Audio-Interface/1GHK#full-des
    might be good. I haven't tried this particular AI, but I do have the 2 out only version (m-track hub) which works without any drama and sounds good. Also has MIDI ports which might be useful. 
  • I'm a happy user of the PreSonus AudioBox iTwo - USB connection to Mac/PC but also works with iPad/iPhone. Unlike some of the others in this price/quality point, it has MIDI In and Thru. If you want to use an iPad to record, or are running out of USB ports on your laptop, this might be important if you're also intending to use a MIDI keyboard controller. 

I'm no recording engineer genius, so I think it will be a while before the audio interface becomes my point of frustration.
  • I have an M-Audio USB that does the business for me as far as playing along with mp3 and the odd bit of recording. Thinking of getting one where I can record a band simultaneously though.