Crowther Hotcake & Fender Amps

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
Hearing conflicting reports that the hotcake doesn't work as well with Fender amps... is this something to be concerned about? I really like the range of sounds you can get from the hotcake including those fuzz like tones... i'm tempted by the double hotcake.. my vintage TS-808 is a little too polite and boxy sounding... I feel I need something a little more wild and agressive.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I mean, it still works... I have one as my drive, and whilst it certainly prefers my AC30, it's still good. Just gets a little more feedbacky earlier with my twin. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    tFB Trader
    From when I had one the Bluesberry mode worked better into a Fender.
  • I used my Hotcake least when I had a Rivera Clubster 25 (i.e. blackface flavoured). It's not bad, it's just much better into something with EL84s 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6691
    I believe it was designed to go in front of an AC30, however, if it sounds good....
  • velvetsky01velvetsky01 Frets: 71
    edited November 2016
    It does work but at lower gain settings anywhere after 9-10 o clock it' not great imo

But sounds amazing with my ac15
    Here is my Trader Feedback Page - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62051/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I tried clones of both the '77 and '03 versions of the Hotcake with my Twin Reverb and didn't like them. The note decay was unpleasantly crackly, especially at the lower gain settings that most people seem to favour. I also thought they were a bit harsh sounding, though IMHO the '77 sounded the nicer of the two.
     That said, they sounded great with my mate's AC30 and my Orange AD30. I've read in several places that they really only work well with EL84 amps, but I having only tried them with the aforementioned amps, I can't really comment on the verimisilitude of those opinions.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Bugger! Overdrive quest continues... Basically Looking for a fat crunchy fuzzy sounding overdrive that can do the pavement/Stephen malkmus thing... I've got a Princeton Reverb so it's got to work with that... Any suggestions?
  • Mr black thunderclaw. 
    Liking the sound of that!!! Have you tried one?
  • I've got one! My three noise-makers are a hotcake, the thunderclaw and for fuzz, a Fairfield circuitry Unpleasant surprise. The thunderclaw is great. Put an EHX Pitchfork before it in the chain, and it'll take your face off. 
  • I've got one! My three noise-makers are a hotcake, the thunderclaw and for fuzz, a Fairfield circuitry Unpleasant surprise. The thunderclaw is great. Put an EHX Pitchfork before it in the chain, and it'll take your face off. 
    Sounds bloody brilliant that!!! Still edging towards hotcake but that thunderclaw is something..
  • I mean, "both" seems the obvious choice :D
  • Actually, I thought the fuzzy setting was pretty decent through my Twin. The '77 version can "flub out" quite dramatically if there's any low-frequency content to your tone, at the highest settings. I can't remember if the '03 one does. 
    Yeah, maxed out, the Hotcake is quite outrageous!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....