Artwork

enteeentee Frets: 93
edited November 2016 in Making & Modding
Has anyone used waterslide paper to produce, print, and then apply to the back of their guitar?  I'd like to personalise mine but not keen on making it look decidedly like a child used a crayon on my new guitar!  lol
Any examples or tips?
Just found these - Rothko  and Plankspanker - anyone used for their own designs?
I would like the back done in a Vince Ray style....
Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16793
    i have used plankspanker for repro stuff and custom designs.   recently i tried Rothko for a  repro logo for my John Birch.

both do excellent work and you won't go wrong with either.   might be worth checking  on the best way to do a large design though, as it may be more tricky than a small logo
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5561
    I've made my own using A4 waterslide decal paper. Depending what it is you're doing you may be able to fit it on one sheet or tile it over a couple. 
    You'll need a laser printer though or the ink will run.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8763
    You can use an ink jet printer, and give the sheet several coats of spray varnish before soaking the transfer off
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    You can use an ink jet printer, and give the sheet several coats of spray varnish before soaking the transfer off
    You can indeed, though in practice this hasn't always worked for me as I still got bleed.
  • Yes, I did some on an inkjet and they still bled profusely as soon as they hit the water. I was using cheap no-name ink at the time, and perhaps I wasn't using the proper acrylic spray varnish, so maybe I'd try it again. Many people report having no problems with inkjets.
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    I am lucky enough to have access to a colour laser printer (work) so that part should present no problems.  Having looked at this, the how-tos say the guitar should be varnished/lacquered for the transfer to adhere to; well I have 10 coats of oil so far and I am gong to apply Briwax as the last coats, so not sure a transfer will work after all  :(
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16793
    Nope, it will slide right off
    ^ this
    Thanks guys....  back to the drawing board then
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    edited December 2016
    Or you could get a Jo Bear original...

http://https//uk.pinterest.com/pin/117164027783711131/

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    edited December 2016
    Why the back? Shame to not see artwork.

I've used the laserwriter waterslide paper on a few things, always happy with the results.
    axisus said:
    Why the back? Shame to not see artwork.

I've used the laserwriter waterslide paper on a few things, always happy with the results.
    Going on the back as I have a flamed front that I want as the centre piece; back will be better and a surprise when turned around :)