HELP!! DD500 or Timeline???

What's Hot
j_kniightj_kniight Frets: 4
I've had my heart set on getting a timeline but haven't had much luck, seem to be constantly ignored on gumtree...
from what I read there are no major fundamental differences, and the boss has a better user interface. But the timeline has the ice setting which is great for ambient playing, does the boss have anything similar?
and then obviously there's the price difference...
any help would be much appreciated. 
Thanks. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Boss has the Tera Echo and I think a shimmer mode but nothing directly like Ice. I think the conventional wisdom is that the Boss is cheaper and has much deeper editing capabilities, while the Strymon sounds better out of the box. Also that the Boss delay repeats have a stronger attack / percussiveness to them that can't easily be dialed out, which is great for bouncy digital delay stuff bet less good for more atmospheric delay use, where the Strymon does better thanks to the smear control. Otherwise both can do pretty much anything you might want. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Very helpful thank you! Just found that the boss can have 2 delays on simultaneously in each bank which is cool, not sure if the timeline can do this, but I'm leaning towards the boss now. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30929
    DD500 all day long. I'd take a DD2 over a timeline

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vox delaylab
    source audio nemesis
    Eventide Timefactor
    Digitech Timebender
    Empress Superdelay
    Line 6 dl4/M5/M9/M13

just getting them in before the list of alternatives pop up

Personally I would try both in a shop and make a decision
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I'd rate the Timeline over the Boss - I tried both and bought a Timeline. I would also checkout the TC Flashback Triple Delay - I love mine. Easy to dial in some great tones and you can link the three delay engines in serial or parallel.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Yeah I used to have a dd20 but sold it to fund something with more presets and advanced editing options. Tried a flashback x3 but didn't get on with it. In many ways I lean towards the timeline because it looks better and is more boutique. But I'm refusing to let that influence my final decision because I know that's stupid. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What will you be using it for?

If you're in the studio then it might be worth paying the extra for the timeline but if it's mainly for gigging then I'd save yourself £150 and get the Boss. Is your audience really going to notice the difference?

I got the dd500 because of this thought.  I don't think the punters down at the Plough are going to care (I probably could get away with no delay at all but you've got to indulge yourself a little bit). 

If money isn't primary concern then go try them and pick what you like best. However both pedals have a massive amount to tweak so even then it can be hard to grasp the depths of them. For example, the dd500 can give you pretty decent chorus, flange, tremelo and even fuzz which is not necessarily obvious going just by the presets. I imagine the timeline is similar.

They are both very good pedals whatever you go for.
  • I've been through all loads of multi delays and recently come back to the timeline. I absolutely love it. It sits in the mix better than the others I tried and is absolutely inspiring to play. I'm loving it. It's going nowhere this time round. The advert says 'inspiration machine' and I have to agree! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the advice guys. I think that I'll go for the dd500 and see how I get on, I can always sell it and change for the Strymon if I desperately need the extra features, but I doubt I will need to. Appreciate the help. 
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    You'll be happy with either.  Both are great, I personally prefer the TL.