Valve History/Identification

What's Hot
I've just been having a massive clear out and have found some valves which might be significant in quality and value, but I could well be wrong. Can someone help?

I've got:

1x Pinnacle ECC83. My research tells me the Pinnacle was made by Tunsgram in Hungary and might not be worth that much, but I'm not too sure as I can't find anything about them beyond what Watford Valves says.

2x Mazda ECC83. My research tells me these are English made (well, thats printed on them ;) ) and could well be NOS and worth £100 each?!? I'm not sure at all though.

Pics:

Pinnacle: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6KkRbq-b6BiRl9CYXZSdmZTZzg/view?usp=sharing

Mazda: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6KkRbq-b6BiTThUcExjbGxvTzQ/view?usp=sharing
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

The pinnacle looks like a Hungarian Tungsram with the silver tag at the top of the plate structure.   They are very nice valves and sought after by the HiFi community.  My experience they work really well in V1/V2 of Silver face fenders where they are not "fizzy".   Without test results you're probably looking at £20 tops.

The Mazda's could be Brimar's as both were owned by Thorn and much cross labelling went on.  May even be Mullard's or Dutch Phillips, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the "made in England" ... More detailed pictures of the internal structure might help to identify what they are or any other codes, particularly if they are etched into the glass.  Again without test results and no firm ID of original manufacture source, you are looking at £20-£30 tops.  The Getter flashing also looks burned on the Mazda, which downs the value.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72642
    What ESchap said. Both Pinnacle and Mazda relabelled valves - Pinnacle was never a manufacturer at all. You can find Pinnacle-labelled Mullards, Tungsrams, RFTs and probably others. Mazdas are often Brimars, but I've got RFTs with Mazda labels too. Towards the end of western European valve production re-labelling was rife across more or less all brands - to identify them properly you need to look at the constructional details and any etched codes.

It's also worth mentioning that these valves are not "NOS" because "N" stands for New - ie unused. These are clearly used, and not in the best of condition - the pins are also bent, and will need carefully straightening before they're usable. They may well be perfectly OK from a functional point of view, but they're nowhere near as valuable as new-condition ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    As per ESchap and ICBM, plus potential buyers may well want to see they have been tested and a GM (transconductance - mA/V) figure quoted. But for me, with 'used old stock' you have to test them in an amp in the early pre-amp stages as they can often be microphonic as the elements go brittle or the supports weaken with age. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers guys, valuable insight;. it''ll be part of a massive clearout so I'll just sell them sold as seen and untested probably for £10 or £15 a pop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom