T-Rex Replica

What's Hot
Tele37Tele37 Frets: 28
edited September 2017 in FX
I borrowed a Cornish T.E.S. for a short while and can't get over how fat the repeats were and how nice the decay is on that thing! It's like it melts in to your original note so perfectly with big thumping repeats.

Wondering what a good and less expensive option would be? I've read the Delay 80's is close, but they are now almost unobtainable and seem very expensive too.

I'd like to know how the T-Rex Replica compares?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    edited November 2016
    There's only one person on here who has owned both. 

Never played a TES myself but I own two T-Rex replicas. They are a bit light on features compared to newer rivals, but soundwise they easily beat all the other delays that I've owned including a Diamond Memory Lane Jr, Empress Superdelay, Providence Chrono, Flashback, Skreddy Echo, Carbon Copy (original and bright)... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30929
    edited November 2016
    The TES is absolutely incredible. It has drawbacks, like no way of getting a temp other than guesswork, but the repeats, as you say, blend like no other. It's almost like reverb.

if you want a budget version, I'd look at Chrono or Flightime. The thing that makes the TES sound so huge is the parallel mixing inside and also the fact it's 240v which has huge headroom advantages.

the replica is great, really great, for the lower band of the TES, but it won't do the digital side of the TES. If you get the replica shove it in a parallel mixer like a wetbox or lehle.

The 80s is hugely overpriced in the market, Chrono is epically good.

another option is the Chandler rack delay....wonderful thing.

lastly, Rack MXR too, but you're talking 500 quid for a good one. 

i do know where there potentially is a TES for sale for a reasonable price (1400 ish which is 'reasonable' ... last one I sold made over 2 grand). There's also one on eBay for....3 grand!

EDIT: you lanky streak of piss...I just worked out who this is x

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tele37Tele37 Frets: 28
    Gassage said:
    The TES is absolutely incredible. It has drawbacks, like no way of getting a temp other than guesswork, but the repeats, as you say, blend like no other. It's almost like reverb.

if you want a budget version, I'd look at Chrono or Flightime. The thing that makes the TES sound so huge is the parallel mixing inside and also the fact it's 240v which has huge headroom advantages.

the replica is great, really great, for the lower band of the TES, but it won't do the digital side of the TES. If you get the replica shove it in a parallel mixer like a wetbox or lehle.

The 80s is hugely overpriced in the market, Chrono is epically good.

another option is the Chandler rack delay....wonderful thing.

lastly, Rack MXR too, but you're talking 500 quid for a good one. 

i do know where there potentially is a TES for sale for a reasonable price (1400 ish which is 'reasonable' ... last one I sold made over 2 grand). There's also one on eBay for....3 grand!

EDIT: you lanky streak of piss...I just worked out who this is x
    This is everything and more that I wanted to know! Huge thanks @Gassage ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tele37Tele37 Frets: 28
    There's only one person on here who has owned both. 

Never played a TES myself but I own two T-Rex replicas. They are a bit light on features compared to newer rivals, but soundwise they easily beat all the other delays that I've owned including a Diamond Memory Lane Jr, Empress Superdelay, Providence Chrono, Flashback, Skreddy Echo, Carbon Copy (original and bright)... 
    Great post. Many thanks for your insight on the Replica! Interesting to hear it beat the Empress and the Diamond for you.
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    Gassage said:
    What's a temp? Do you mean there's no tap tempo? How long is the wait time these days?
  • There's only one person on here who has owned both. 

Great post. Many thanks for your insight on the Replica! Interesting to hear it beat the Empress and the Diamond for you.
    I found the Diamond, Empress and Chrono quite sterile sounding in comparison (all were A/B'd). There is a lovely timbre to the Replicas delayed notes that works for me. It's way less muddy than a Carbon Copy so to me is a perfect middle ground delay.

For quite a while I gigged the Chrono but felt it got too easily lost in the band mix, however it was best of the brighter delays.