PCB vs 50'S Wiring on a les paul. Which is better?

What's Hot
NiallseroreillyNiallseroreilly Frets: 504
edited November 2016 in Making & Modding
Having a few noise related issues with my PCB, was thinking of having 50s wiring installed. Anybody did this? Also I really like the coil splits, out of phase sound and bypass switch on my 2013 les paul can I retain these?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    When I had a LP standard from about 4 years ago I ditched the PCB and went trad wiring.

I put 4 push pull pots in for the full Jimmy Page - 2x coil split, in/out phase and serial/parallel.

The Seymour Duncan website has some really good wiring diagrams for this as well - or you can go with one of the other (many) variations around. 

If you can wave a soldering iron then it's actually not that difficult - or you can get a tech to do it - parts will cost you 30 quid or so depending on what you go for and its an hour or twos work..
  • Thank you man. Did it sound any better?
    Thank you man. Did it sound any better?
    It did. Although that's obviously a bit subjective. And it does depend on the quality of the components.

Personally I did it because the PCB/pots etc felt a bit fragile. It was certainly a lot more sturdy afterwards and there was a bit less crackle. 

Of course - with the 50s wiring it depends on how you want the relationship between vol and tone to work - there's whole ranting debates on that subject on t'internet ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

http://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/harnesses.html

Oil city do pre-wired ones for not much more than the cost of components.

I'll be getting one on payday,