Longer lasting strings?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901

the original Elixirs were very dull sounding (polyweb). Are these the ones you tried?

I use the newer ones (nanoweb) on everything, they are excellent. They are not horribly zingy the day you fit them, they carry on sounding bright for months and months, and don't just fade after 2 weeks. Uncoated strings sound awful to me for the first 2 days.

Also I love the much-reduced string squeaking. The newer ones have anti-rust plain strings too

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControl;138966" said:
    the original Elixirs were very dull sounding (polyweb). Are these the ones you tried?I use the newer ones (nanoweb) on everything, they are excellent. They are not horribly zingy the day you fit them, they carry on sounding bright for months and months, and don't just fade after 2 weeks. Uncoated strings sound awful to me for the first 2 days.Also I love the much-reduced string squeaking. The newer ones have anti-rust plain strings too
    I tried them a couple of years ago. Maybe I should give them another go? I didn't realise they'd changed the 'recipe'.

Also, I tried them through a pretty nice all valve rig. Now I'm on solid state, it might respond a fair bit differently so I might get away with more. Hmm.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72358
    I've always found Elixirs to sound thin and tinny, not dull - both types. There again I much prefer uncoated strings after they've settled in, which may be at the point you're finding them going dull - they sound too bright to me for a lot longer than two days usually, unless I take special measures to break them in. So maybe my prefered tone is duller than the 'normal' Elixir tone.

The D'Addario and Ernie Ball coated strings I tried just sounded dead though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:
    Obviously thinner strings last longer.

Just cos you use 0.003's........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17610
    edited February 2014 tFB Trader
    I've got some Dragon Skins on my PRS and they feel like I remember DRs feeling so for those who don't like Elixirs they may be worth a look. 

I'll update with how they last in a month or two.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72358
    The DR Dragon Skins are the only coated strings I like at all - the only ones which sound good to me. They do have an entirely different feel though.

I was round at a friend's house the other night and played two of his guitars, one with Elixirs on and one with Dragon Skins - the one with Elixirs (which would normally be my preferred guitar of the two) felt awful to me, and sounded only OK… the one with DRs sounded great, but he thought the strings were dead - they weren't, they just felt like it. He prefers the Elixirs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein