AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
edited January 2019 in Studio & Recording
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    edited November 2016
    Remember that bleed isn't really a condenser/dynamic thing. Bleed's solely about the pickup pattern and off axis response of the mic in question - for example a C414 in hypercardoid will have a tighter pattern than an SM7b.

The SM7 is a great mic, no question. In the same price range, I actually think the RE-20 is a slightly more neutral/ versatile mic as an all-purpose tool - it's more neutral through the upper mids and has deeper, flatter low end response. However, sometimes the RE-20 *really* doesn't suit some voices whereas the SM7b is a pretty safe bet. That said, I recently sung a track where I didn't like the sound of the SM7 and went with an SM58 in my hand - it actually suited the song better. Art.

I think that SM7b will be a better choice than most condensers in a similar price range, just because budget/prosumer condensers are usually compromised in some way since condensers have more parts and more design hurdles to overcome to achieve the same level of good - you end up with some combination of brittle highs, resonant peaks and weird off axis sound usually.

I would give suggestions for recording the parts separately and overdubbing things, but definitely do whatever will net you the best, most inspired performances. If that means singing live with the instruments, the technical challenges will be minor and worth overcoming.
  • As above ^
  • AvalonAndyAvalonAndy Frets: 326
    edited January 2019