Any plumbers here? Dishwasher disconnection advice needed

What's Hot

Our dishwasher died, not in a dramatic cloud of smoke and flames, we were in so noticed the burning smell coming from the control panel and turned it off quick.

Anyway we've decided that we'll actually make do without one (and that's give us another cupboard which we really need).

So my next DIY task is to disconnect it. We'd like to keep our options open should we decide to get a replacement machine.

The water feed to the machine is currently fed from that black pipe coming from the top right of the pic below. I'd like to get a cap to temporarily seal off the isolation valve there (rather than just relying on keeping it closed). That sort of thing must be readily available right?

The other thing is the waste water return, which goes back into the U bend from the sink. What are the chances of getting some sort of cap/stopper for that so I can keep the nasty smells in but avoid having to replace anything else?

I'm going to wander down to Wickes later and see what they've got...but thought I'd ask you clever lot here first!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    get a stop cap to screw on to the outlet valve
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Wickes or your local DIY plumbing supplies shoiuld be able to sell you all the bits you need, but when I removed mine the seal for the waste pipe only came as part of the main assembly so had to bite the bullet and spend a tenner instead of the quid I was expecting, however beat flooding the cupboard every time I emptied the sink
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Ah, the trusty ice cream container...bit of a dog's dinner under there!

You should be able to get a cap for the feed at the valve and the return at the u-bend...I think one of the rules is that you don't want any dead legs of water...so you should be fine if you do that.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Is there an isolater for that black pipe - can't see one .... be careful ......

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited August 2013
    Jalapeno said:

Im assuming the blue tap above it ?   just turn it off and then screw a blanking cap on. 

Actually,  it does look like its a "spur" with a feed going on after the joint................ doesnt look right that, need to see whats behind the Domestos bottle
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Indeed ....

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • bertie said:
    Jalapeno said:

Im assuming the blue tap above it ?   just turn it off and then screw a blanking cap on. 

Actually,  it does look like its a "spur" with a feed going on after the joint................ doesnt look right that, need to see whats behind the Domestos bottle
    Domestos! I dream of the day I can afford domestos its a quick once round with sandpaper here!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • I'd just replace the white plastic, they're pennies. Plumb centre, Wickes, B&Q all stock them.  I presume it leaks anyway (the ice cream tub? ) Make sure you clean the gunk off the black sink waste to help with a leak free seal.

The C/w feed to the dishwasher is a compression fitting, and is also the C/w feed to the kitchen sink. You have a couple of options. Leave the fitting in place and fit a threaded end blanking piece, or remove the fitting altogether and let a piece of 15mm copper into the space between both ends of the compression fitting - both are fairly easy and pretty reliable. Don't tighten the compression fittings up too much, it distorts the olive. 

Best of luck. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Jalapeno said:

Yes there is.

Thanks all.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Don't cut the blue wire.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24391
    Sorry.... I passed out in shock when I got to the bit "we've decided that we'll actually make do without one".

Are you MAD ?????????

Go back to washing dishes... by hand ???!!!!!!

I need a drink.....

Jesus, there are some sick men in this world.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72494
    We bought our current house because it had a dishwasher :).

I actually don't mind washing dishes - I used to be a laboratory technician so washing glassware is an ingrained skill - but never managed to agree with Mrs. ICBM on how it was to be done... I liked to leave them until there was a good load and then do the whole lot at once properly, she hated having a pile of 'waiting' dishes so she would always do them piecemeal, and do a crap job... grrr. Having a dishwasher so she can hide the dirty stuff until it's full and then press go keeps her happy. I still think it does a crap job compared to properly by hand, but I admit it probably uses less water and detergent.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Well I had an exploratory look under the sink last night (to check what I nead and messure things to make sure my shopping list was correct. I actually ended up taking the trap off just to give it a go and see how easy it is (and it is pretty easy)...so I've just been to see the helpful man at the local Screwfix and I've got the bits I need (new trap and blanking cap for the other bit).

Should get it sorted tonight, I then just need to work out how to get the dishwasher out of the house! It came in before we put the fridge freezer in and I suspect that might be in the way...

:-SS
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12389
    I heart Screwfix. :)
    boogieman said:
    I heart Screwfix. :)

Indeed. I took a spare isolation valve I had to make sure what I got fitted, he opened up three packets of different blanking caps to make sure it fitted. I can't imagine B&Q doing that (even though they're part of the same group). Great prices as well, £3.59 for the trap compared to about £7 in B&Q!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12389
    not_the_dj;12886" said:
    boogieman said:

I heart Screwfix. :) Indeed. I took a spare isolation valve I had to make sure what I got fitted, he opened up three packets of different blanking caps to make sure it fitted. I can't imagine B&Q doing that (even though they're part of the same group). Great prices as well, £3.59 for the trap compared to about £7 in B&Q!
    I agree and their prices are indeed way better.

Actually it makes me laugh that B&Q are supposed to be the diy arm and yet most of their staff are spotty yoofs who haven't got a clue. Meanwhile the "trade oriented" Screwfix staff are really helpful in answering dopey beginner questions.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom