Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Band practice etiquette

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
I've started rehearsing with a new band which is awesome and getting to play songs i've been writing is excellent fun. Looks like we have a gig or two lined up in the new year too. The drummer and bassist are great and shut up when required but the second guitarist seems to have no 'off' switch. Or understanding of volume. Or what too much treble/multi effects/gain means.

I am relatively new to this outfit which have been playing together loosely for a year or so but since joining they have all said how much better the band is sounding with the songs i've brought along.

We were recording the session last time for reference and analysis but he is playing over literally everything including intros, disussions etc. Most of it is just incoherent flange soaked multii effect 'distortion' but he does have his moments of genius. I've tried gently explaining what might be a good guitar part for him to play but my patience is wearing thin - how can I approach this? Our sessions are really productive but its painful when we can't hear ourselves discuss ideas.

Rant over!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No playing while someone is talking rule. Discuss it, anyone reasonable should agree to it. Anyone who isn't is unreasonable, so that's the issue
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    He's probably pretty thick skinned. Less of the gentle might help because he might just be lacking a little direction and focus. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Thanks for the suggestions - I get the feeling that he doesn't practice much during the week so gets his noodling done during the rehearsals - will try to approach this next time.
  • If you all have access to record and write at home, send the parts to each other and use your practice time to practice the songs. Means you can have productive practices and keep the noodling to a minimum. 
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

If you all have access to record and write at home, send the parts to each other and use your practice time to practice the songs. Means you can have productive practices and keep the noodling to a minimum. 
    That't what we have been doing via Garageband and Dropbox but he doesn't seem to have much input (he may have a stressful job/life etc but who knows). 
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    Just tell him to STFU. Seriously, there is no excuse for his behaviour and he needs to be told that it's a serious problem and it's getting on everyone's tits and holding the band back as a whole. If he's not listening to discussion then he's not taking any of it in so he'll continue to make the same mistakes or miss the changes that have been suggested. 

It's probably the novelty of being able to play properly loud for 2 hours, once a week but band practice is for rehearsing songs as a band, NOT practicing licks and noodling.

Another suggestion is playing the same annoying lick whenever he speaks. Like, every time. It sends a clear message about how annoying he's being. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    If everyone stops what they're doing and stares at him until he shuts up and then for a bit longer, and then break the silence with a "now where were we?" type comment every time, it may get the message through.

Have you talked to the others and found out if they find it as annoying?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I don't want to get petty about it by playing when he's talking over and over again. The bassist nearly snapped last session so I think he's feeling it. I also spoke to the drummer who is a mate of mine and he completely agreed with me. 

I'll most likely be hungover during our next one so I might be a little less restrained. Thanks all!
  • rico said:

I'll most likely be hungover during our next one so I might be a little less restrained. Thanks all!
    Don't kill him.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Welcome to the band arsehole. Nothing will fix him. Guaranteed.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4538
    I have 2 children at home so band practice is the only time i get to play loud so i love a good noodle when the drums and bass have stopped. A good firm shut the fuck up Des from the drummer usually stops me and focuses me. I don't feel bad and it's what i need so don't feel bad for telling him to stop.
  • As mentioned previously just tell him to STFU. Its the only way he will listen. You may have to repeat several time but he will get the message eventually.

• I was in a band with a bass player like that. He wouldn't take the hint, or a telling, and it eventually wore me and the drummer down so we left. Is this guitarist bringing anything good to the mix aside from the occasional "moment of genius"? 

You might just have to acknowledge the fact that this guy is not your guy and let him go. It sounds like you have a solid unit between you, the drummer and the bassist so the band won't stop functioning if/when you start looking for a replacement.

Also, sounds like your band practice etiquette is spot on, good job buddy!
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    Too much confirmation bias going on chaps and chapesses

dont do anything other than having a quiet 1:1 with him.
    dont tell him he is wrong, ask him about it

Maybe he loves music, he loves guitar, he loves playing it

maybe band practices don't have to be formal processes manageme by strict protocols

maybe you are wrong and he is right

or in reality is somewhere in between 

peace brothers and sisters :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The awkward thing is that i've only been playing with them for about 5 weeks (or 15 hours depending on how you look at it) and i'm conscious that I don't want to rock the boat. However the drummer and bassist who are legends have definitively said that they don't want to play any of their old stuff anymore and really enjoy the new direction the band is going in, hell we've even changed the name of the band!

I do get the impression the second guitarist does love playing etc but its a pain when someone you don't know all that well is holding things back. Hopefully he has had a chance to practice this weeks so maybe Sunday's practice will be a different ball game!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    So, go and have a pint with him and talk about music with him, and see where you get.  

As as with all conflcts like this, don't talk much - just ask him questions and see what he says about his music etc and his gaols and what he likes to do.
    and then he might ask you, and you do the same.
    and at the end you have a much better mutual understanding of each other and a much better chance of sorting it out, plus the possible benefit of some synergy

we are very rarely right in life - the other persons usually has a very valid viewpoint that we'd not thought about

good luck 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 188
    This is the reason I've never been in a band with another guitarist...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4538
    mrleon83 said:
    That, and also you don't have to share any groupies
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Suggest you agree on what the purpose of each rehearsal is and what success looks like collectively - otherwise what appears obvious to you ie getting new songs nailed / tight may be a way off how he perceives things ? 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    DesVegas said:
    mrleon83 said:
    That, and also you don't have to share any groupies
    That's half the fun!