Orange Crush Pro CR120C

What's Hot
grayngrayn Frets: 891
I Got this 120 watt, 2X12 combo, a week ago.  When Orange decided to move their Crush (solid state) range of amps on, from practice (PIX) to the Pro series, they decided to make a really solid, quality, giggable amp.  They also decided to keep things simple.  Solid state, with the only digital aspect being the Reverb.  2 channels (clean and dirty) that are footswitchable and just the EQ you need.

I really like the rugged build quality, with good quality, solid knobs and switches.  No flimsy push buttons or illuminated dials.
Everything works simply and effectively.  Straightforward and easily visible.  Even the large, recessed carry handles, on each side, are metal.  All very sturdy and re-assuring.  It's no lightweight but manageable, with those side handles.  Heavy amps, with just a single handle on the top, are asking for back problems.

So, most importantly I guess, how does it sound.  The clean channel is very clean.  Although when you crank it right up, you do get some pleasant, light crunch.It doesn't sparkle or focus like my Fender Blues Junior.
But there's plenty of presence and the EQ works to get a great sound with my PRS Singlecut's humbuckers.
Also, very good with effects pedals.   The dirty channel gets you from mild crunch to highly saturated, metal distortions.
The mild crunch isn't great and you're better off cranking up the clean channel, for that sound.  Heavy rock and even heavier metal distortions are really good, to my ears.  Very responsive and great to go wild with.  Heavy chords, ripping lead lines and squeals, all sound pretty awesome.

I heard somewhere that this combo sounds like Orange's Rockerverb (valve) combo.  I couldn't say, not having played through one.  But I could say that to my ears, this amp has a sound of it's own.  Strong and well defined, with a nice character.
It won't replace a valve combo, like for like.  But it doesn't need to, it sounds great, being what it is.  Oh yeah, that digital reverb section also works very well, with a choice of plate, hall and spring reverbs.

FEATURES

Power: 120W (solid state)
    Two channels
    Speakers: 2x12" Voice of the World
    Digital reverb:  Plate, Hall & Spring
    Clean channel controls: Volume, Bass and Treble
    Dirty channel controls: Volume, Bass, Middle, Treble and Gain
    Global controls: Volume and Reverb
    Impedance: 16 ohm
    Dimensions: 25.98" x 20.08" x 11.81"
    Weight: 63.93 lbs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31629
    Looks like a beast, check out this guy's videos, he uses Orange CR120s a lot to good effect;

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72487
    There's a head at one of the venues I sometime play at with supplied backline. A friend of mine who is a pretty experienced guitarist and whose own amp is a Mesa Lone Star has played through it a couple of times, and thought it was fine - until I told him, it had never occurred to him that it was solid state :).

I've always thought that if you simply build a solid-state amp properly, it will sound good. This is the proof - there's no modern modelling or any very new technology at all in these, they're just well-made using decent quality components. They even use a 'power chip' output section which I'm often not fond of since they can fail, but Orange seem to be running them conservatively - and properly heatsinked - and I haven't seen a single one for repair yet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    ICBM said:
    I've always thought that if you simply build a solid-state amp properly, it will sound good. This is the proof - there's no modern modelling or any very new technology at all in these, they're just well-made using decent quality components...
    This.  I have been using a CR120 head for well over a year and it sounds great.  Tbh the only issue I had with it initially was much more to do with me than the amp.  It wasn't a Marshall JVM!  -- a mega-multi-channel amp which I'd been using for donkey's yonks so I had to re-think a few things.  Once those were re-thunk... it's just bloody great.  I don't hear or feel any difference between the SS Orange and a valve amp.  Maybe if you recorded it there would be a difference?  I dunno, I don't care.  Live, it's a super, super amp that does everything I want. 
    That combo looks really nice!

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2564
    p90fool said:
    Looks like a beast, check out this guy's videos, he uses Orange CR120s a lot to good effect;

I'm a fan of Dave's videos too. I love his enthusiasm for the CR120 in that video, he's like a big kid. Stunning blues piece he plays on the Gibson too.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grayngrayn Frets: 891
    Glad there's some love out there, for these great amps.
    I've absoloutely no need for one but I'm seriously thinking of getting a 2X12 ext. cab for this beauty.
    An Orange stack!
    Just so cool.

Thanks for the vid, p90fool
  • Welcome to the forum Grayn, good to see a familiar face/user name from the Acoustic Soundboard!  

The Orange CR60/120's seem like winners, really great to see a company make decent SS amps without modelling etc that just seem to be really sturdy and reliable amps. 
    Welcome to the forum Grayn, good to see a familiar face/user name from the Acoustic Soundboard!  

The Orange CR60/120's seem like winners, really great to see a company make decent SS amps without modelling etc that just seem to be really sturdy and reliable amps. 

Cool to see your reply Wiggy.
    The more I use this amp, the better it seems to sound.
    Orange really got this right.
    ;)
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9702
    edited November 2016
    I bought myself the CR60C earlier this year and am very pleased with it. Love the simplicity of the thing. No effects, no tuner, no USB port, no aux in, and no headphones out. Just a great amp with everything you need and nothing you don't.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • I tried one, the 60 watt combo. The only thing I didn't like was a slightly boxy sound - I didn't try it, but I bet that's easily fixed by putting into a bigger cab (even a larger 1x12). A very minor complaint, though, it was a very nice amp indeed. 

I like that chap's videos. Some people take it a bit seriously, as if he'd exactly nail a particular player's tone, but it shows that with thought and technique you can reasonably closely emulate plenty of tones. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I tried one, the 60 watt combo. The only thing I didn't like was a slightly boxy sound - I didn't try it, but I bet that's easily fixed by putting into a bigger cab (even a larger 1x12). A very minor complaint, though, it was a very nice amp indeed. 

I like that chap's videos. Some people take it a bit seriously, as if he'd exactly nail a particular player's tone, but it shows that with thought and technique you can reasonably closely emulate plenty of tones. 
    I've not tried the 1X12 version. The last thing I'd call the CR120C though, is boxy. Lovely, full, well spread sound.
  • grayn said:
    I tried one, the 60 watt combo. The only thing I didn't like was a slightly boxy sound - I didn't try it, but I bet that's easily fixed by putting into a bigger cab (even a larger 1x12). A very minor complaint, though, it was a very nice amp indeed. 

I've not tried the 1X12 version. The last thing I'd call the CR120C though, is boxy. Lovely, full, well spread sound.

The cr60 is actually squeezed into a fairly small combo. It's not boxy boxy, just didn't sound as big as my bandit - but the bandit is bigger. And the crush, in my opinion, sounded better despite that. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    edited November 2016
    I use one at a rehearsal studio, and it has been supplied backline at quite a few festival gigs I've done.

they're ok, perfectly giggable but do I prefer it to any of my valve amps - absolutely not., clean channel isn't a patch on any half decent valve amp, and I prefer to use my pedals rather than the dirt channel.

I did try a blues cube  hot albeit in a music shop, but personally preferred that to the orange.   I'd be quite happy going to a solid state amp, and would  like to try the award session blues baby, and also a quilter amp.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    edited November 2016
    I use a head version at our rehearsal space from time to time together with an Orange 4x12. Sounds good at high gain together with a Pharaoh for added beef but yeah...it misses that warmth that tube amps give. Plus I'm convinced my set up that I have at the moment (pedals through clean amp) is 'the one', and it produces tons more low end. Pretty good for sludge though.
    As I said before, this combo doesn't try to replace or emulate a valve combo. It certainly took me a short time to appreciate that, after years of only playing through valves. Now, I really rate it's sound. We've all got different ideas, playing styles, guitars and pedals and finding that last link, the amp, is quite a quest. The CR120C has got me buzzing. It won't be for everyone, of course.
  • Yes, sounds good, I just wish they didn't look like an Orange amp. I find the aesthetics of Orange amps vile.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, sounds good, I just wish they didn't look like an Orange amp. I find the aesthetics of Orange amps vile.

Go and sit on the naughty step and think about what you said. 

:) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9702
    Yes, sounds good, I just wish they didn't look like an Orange amp. I find the aesthetics of Orange amps vile.
    The combo is also available in black.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it