What to build with a Zendrive kit?

What's Hot
ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
I know, obviously, but I have 2 Zendrive clones already and found an old Bitsbox Zendrive kit in the back of my drawer.  

Question for you pedal builders. What similar pedal could I use the components for, while still producing something sonically different to a Zendrive?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28665
    From a quick Google it's basically a TS style topology.

Different clipping? Maybe put a no-load pot in between the output and input as a feedback path, and a 5K pot in the supply line to get gated fuzzy noises?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    A time machine or teleportation device is where I'd be focusing my efforts!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72599
    A Timmy. It's the same basic circuit but with minor differences, especially the clipping components.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7548
    It's a TS with different clipping and a voice control that trades gain for low end.

Maybe make a good old fashioned tubescreamer? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
    tFB Trader
    So the combo of the MOSFET and the Schottky diodes in the zendrive gives a very smooth type of clipping, this coupled with the presence control gives the zendrive its unique voicing. If you want to experiment you can't go badly wrong by adjusting the clipping stage. In this circuit it'll make a big difference. Something with a higher forward voltage like red leds or even higher blue LEDs. Will give you a much less clipped sound, it'll take much more signal for them to clip and when they do, it'll do so in a musical manner. For more fun combine them in different configurations. use your ears and enjoy. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72599
    TimmyO said:

It's a TS with different clipping and a voice control that trades gain for low end.
    It's actually a TS with Rat filtering really… on the Rat, the Voice (bass on the Timmy) control is fixed, but it's essentially the same circuit. All of them use the Rat's 'filter' control after the TS gain/clipping stage (treble on the Timmy, tone on the Zendrive).

I've always been curious as to whether the Timmy (or Tim) or the Zendrive came first, but I've never been able to find a clear answer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Firstly, thank you all very much for giving me such prompt help. Secondly, thank you all for being so kind and generous with your expert knowledge to everyone on here.  I know I'm not the only one who is very grateful!

PS This doesn't apply to @simonk, only because he didn't include the schematics for the time machine or teleportation device....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ThorpyFX said:
    So the combo of the MOSFET and the Schottky diodes in the zendrive gives a very smooth type of clipping, this coupled with the presence control gives the zendrive its unique voicing. If you want to experiment you can't go badly wrong by adjusting the clipping stage. In this circuit it'll make a big difference. Something with a higher forward voltage like red leds or even higher blue LEDs. Will give you a much less clipped sound, it'll take much more signal for them to clip and when they do, it'll do so in a musical manner. For more fun combine them in different configurations. use your ears and enjoy. 
    Does LED size make a difference? Just going to order some off Ebay. Can you set them up asymetrically? 2+1?
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6220
    tFB Trader
    Chalky said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    Does LED size make a difference? Just going to order some off Ebay. Can you set them up asymetrically? 2+1?
    Use 3mm leds for compactness, I use 5mm but it's the forward voltage that's key not the size of the LED. You can set them up   assymetrically for a different flavour, the key thing though is to experiment and settle on what you love 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    Thanks again @ThorpyFX !
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28665
    You can attach diodes to toggle switches and then flick between 'em. I did a few pedals with rotary switches to choose up to 6 different clipping combos, but they were a bit fiddly.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."