Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ios vs Android.....

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11460
    edited November 2016
    ICBM said:
    hywelg said:

But surely the inability to expand storage is what puts people off iPhones, and to be fair Googles own phones.
    Really? I've never heard a single person mention it before.

Storage was definitely an issue for me when I was looking at phones -whether it's internal or using an SD car I don't care but i want a decent amount of storage.

If the phone had a decent amount of storage then it's not an issue, but most phones don't have a decent amount of storage.  Apple and Google seem to be deliberately giving you poxy amounts of storage to try to get you to pay a monthly fee for their cloud services.  The phone networks plug these phones because you will need a plan with more data that they can charge more for.

If I can buy a 64GB micro SD card for under £15, there is no reason that a phone can't come with a decent amount of internal storage.  It's a deliberate policy to keep the storage small to get you to buy their cloud services.

Apple do the same thing with their computers as well.  The base spec of the supposedly "professional" level MacBook Pro only has a 256GB SSD.  That's ridiculous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72431
    crunchman said:

If the phone had a decent amount of storage then it's not an issue, but most phones don't have a decent amount of storage.  Apple and Google seem to be deliberately giving you poxy amounts of storage to try to get you to pay a monthly fee for their cloud services.
    They do a 256GB iPhone 7 now. Although I did nearly fall over when I saw how much they wanted for it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    crunchman said:

If the phone had a decent amount of storage then it's not an issue, but most phones don't have a decent amount of storage.  Apple and Google seem to be deliberately giving you poxy amounts of storage to try to get you to pay a monthly fee for their cloud services.
    They do a 256GB iPhone 7 now. Although I did nearly fall over when I saw how much they wanted for it.
    It's the fact that they charge £100 more for 128GB of storage that does my head in.  It should be about £20 more.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10424
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:
    hywelg said:

But surely the inability to expand storage is what puts people off iPhones, and to be fair Googles own phones.

Storage was definitely an issue for me when I was looking at phones -whether it's internal or using an SD car I don't care but i want a decent amount of storage.

If the phone had a decent amount of storage then it's not an issue, but most phones don't have a decent amount of storage.  Apple and Google seem to be deliberately giving you poxy amounts of storage to try to get you to pay a monthly fee for their cloud services.  The phone networks plug these phones because you will need a plan with more data that they can charge more for.

If I can buy a 64GB micro SD card for under £15, there is no reason that a phone can't come with a decent amount of internal storage.  It's a deliberate policy to keep the storage small to get you to buy their cloud services.

Apple do the same thing with their computers as well.  The base spec of the supposedly "professional" level MacBook Pro only has a 256GB SSD.  That's ridiculous.
    The lack of an SD card isn't a cost thing on an IOS device, it's a security thing. One of the reasons it's virtually impossible to get a virus on an IOS device

Not defending Apples meagre harddrive portions but it's never a good idea to trust a large amount of data to an internal drive especially an SSD. Do what your doing, move the data to at least 2 other locations and start again. I do a lot of data recovery. that's what I'm actually doing now as I type this. If I can get a platter drive to spin up my results are generally good but SSD's when they go .... and trust me they will .... are a nightmare. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    I have all my important stuff stored in at least two places.  If I take a picture on my phone it automatically uploads it to Dropbox when the phone is connected to WiFi.  From there it goes onto a PC and an external hard drive.  I am planning to buy a second external hard drive, and ideally keep one of them at work.

The difference is that I use Dropbox as a tool to transfer stuff - I don't use it as my primary storage.  Maybe I'm old school but I want control of my own data and I don't want to pay my mobile provider to be able to access it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    I have all my important stuff stored in at least two places.  If I take a picture on my phone it automatically uploads it to Dropbox when the phone is connected to WiFi.  From there it goes onto a PC and an external hard drive.  I am planning to buy a second external hard drive, and ideally keep one of them at work.

The difference is that I use Dropbox as a tool to transfer stuff - I don't use it as my primary storage.  Maybe I'm old school but I want control of my own data and I don't want to pay my mobile provider to be able to access it.
    That's the beauty of Android - just have the Google Drive client installed on your PC, and it all happens automagically without the need for Dropbox and its low storage cap.
    <space for hire>
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10424
    I have Googledrive on all my PC's and iPhone, I much prefer it to iCloud
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • crunchman said:

That's the beauty of Android - just have the Google Drive client installed on your PC, and it all happens automagically without the need for Dropbox and its low storage cap.
    Equally, that it all happens automatically for me as well, through iCloud, between my iPhone, iPad and mac. :p ;)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11314
    crunchman said:
    Maybe I'm old school but I want control of my own data and I don't want to pay my mobile provider to be able to access it.
    Exactly!

I don't want to pay anyone to access my data.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    C'mon guys, it is a phone.  Mainly used for making phone calls.  And sending text messages.  Nothing to get excited about, as long as the battery has some charge left in it....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• SporkySporky Frets: 28423
    What else is wrong with iOS is that if you tap in a phone number, then decide you want to send a text message instead of calling... you can't. Not without either making a contact, or typing the number in again. In Android you just tap 'send sms' from the dial pad.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Rocker said:
    C'mon guys, it is a phone.  Mainly used for making phone calls.  And sending text messages.  Nothing to get excited about, as long as the battery has some charge left in it....

Just like a guitar is just a guitar,  

Copied from my earlier post:

For a hell of a lot of people,
    Phones are an important element of their life, its the one thing they use more than anything else  and is key for contact, interaction, entertainment, and so on,  so theirs nothing wrong with having a strong opinions and discussing it. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28423
    Having a half-decent smartphone made a huge difference to my being able to do my job. Maps, contacts, calendar, calculator, camera and email all in one teeny doodad that also has games and music for the train. And looking stuff up on the inferweb!

I should point out that even the iPhone did all of that well enough. ;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Rocker said:
    Except that is obviously not true these days - between internet browsing, email, calendar, maps, boarding passes, banking, music, accessing internal work systems, whatsapp, camera, facebook/twitter/instagram etc, health tracking, and games I reckon I use my phone for calls and texts no more than 10% of its total usage. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    Except that is obviously not true these days - between internet browsing, email, calendar, maps, boarding passes, banking, music, accessing internal work systems, whatsapp, camera, facebook/twitter/instagram etc, health tracking, and games I reckon I use my phone for calls and texts no more than 10% of its total usage. 
    We're also slowly edging towards the point where your phone can be docked and become your desktop PC or laptop - there are already a few phones out there which can do this, but they haven't had that much investment yet.

The Motorola Atrix is a prime example - a good idea, but woefully underpowered. However, when it was docked it'd switch to a desktop version of Ubuntu. Android itself has advanced to the point where it can run as a desktop OS, and the newer quad-core and octa-core CPUs can easily handle the load; I suspect we'll start seeing this soon.
    <space for hire>
  • Rocker said:
    We're also slowly edging towards the point where your phone can be docked and become your desktop PC or laptop - there are already a few phones out there which can do this, but they haven't had that much investment yet.

The Motorola Atrix is a prime example - a good idea, but woefully underpowered. However, when it was docked it'd switch to a desktop version of Ubuntu. Android itself has advanced to the point where it can run as a desktop OS, and the newer quad-core and octa-core CPUs can easily handle the load; I suspect we'll start seeing this soon.

If it could play fallout and load Cubase  and 20 vsts plus 20 channels I would be more than happy! 
  • Danny1969 said:
    crunchman said:
    ICBM said:
    hywelg said:

The lack of an SD card isn't a cost thing on an IOS device, it's a security thing. One of the reasons it's virtually impossible to get a virus on an IOS device

Not defending Apples meagre harddrive portions but it's never a good idea to trust a large amount of data to an internal drive especially an SSD. Do what your doing, move the data to at least 2 other locations and start again. I do a lot of data recovery. that's what I'm actually doing now as I type this. If I can get a platter drive to spin up my results are generally good but SSD's when they go .... and trust me they will .... are a nightmare. 

Agree here in a big big way. 

Found out the hard way - did an event shoot and a compact flash card failed. I used a free trial of file recovery software and it managed to extract some of the files, but not all. 

I had another card on the night which I also used, but it was only due to luck. My next camera absolutely *must* have dual slots. 

The other thing is size.phones are still getting thinner (the nexus 6p is like a wafer - actually uncomfortable to hold). Ergonomically, the iPhone 4 and 5 were about perfect, meaning cases didn't need to be huge or overly padded, but was still very comfortable to hold. The iPhone 6 is, in comparison, horrible. 

The same is true on the android side of the pond, too. I don't want a skinny phone, nor a screen bigger than 4-5 inches. I want a decent battery and a bit more storage, and a nice, tactile shell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72431
    ThePrettyDamned said:

The other thing is size.phones are still getting thinner (the nexus 6p is like a wafer - actually uncomfortable to hold). Ergonomically, the iPhone 4 and 5 were about perfect, meaning cases didn't need to be huge or overly padded, but was still very comfortable to hold. The iPhone 6 is, in comparison, horrible.
    Totally agree. I don't understand this "thinner and bigger" thing at all - to me, the iPhone 4S is perfect. Perfect hand size, fits in almost any pocket, doesn't need to be any thinner. If anything, slightly thicker would be OK and would allow a larger battery.

The iPhone SE isn't bad though, so at least I have an upgrade option if (when) my 4S finally becomes obsolete to the point it can't do something I want it to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    edited December 2016
    ICBM said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

Totally agree. I don't understand this "thinner and bigger" thing at all - to me, the iPhone 4S is perfect. Perfect hand size, fits in almost any pocket, doesn't need to be any thinner. If anything, slightly thicker would be OK and would allow a larger battery.

The iPhone SE isn't bad though, so at least I have an upgrade option if (when) my 4S finally becomes obsolete to the point it can't do something I want it to.
    I did look quite seriously at getting the Iphone SE 64gb, as I don't want a really big phone, and thought that would be a good compromise with battery life/speed, and decent camera.

i compared it to a couple of similarily priced android handsets ie the Sony Xcompact, and Galaxy S7,   The S7 won by a mile, with the camera in particular being the best I've seen on a phone, plus the speed, usability, and looks of it, plus the expandable storage.  It is bigger obviously but from a purely personal point of view it was an absolute no brainer to go with the s7.

• ewalewal Frets: 2587
    Sporky said:

I think the "proper" Google phones rule the roost versus third party.
    I think it's about having a "light" installation of Android. The Nexus 4 and 10 were great in that regard, and my Moto G4 is also excellent - no garbage overlay, no bloat. Also it takes an SD card, two SIMs and is splash proof.

Tell you what though, the Lightning connector is pretty good, in that you can plug it in either way up.
    HTC have skinned android perfectly,  it's general consensus it's the best of its type, and I have to agree I have had 2 nexus phones and honestly prefer the HTC software, plus the HTC 10 has USB C so it can be charged in either way........ I have to say tho HTC had to pull off a pretty phenomenal phone with the 10 as they're doing so badly financially, but me being a bit of a htc fan I'm really happy to confirm  its the best android handset I have used. 
    I went from an old HTC One (m7) to a OnePlus X 6 months ago. It's ok and does all the Google stuff I like well, but definitely not a patch on my old HTC.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience