NPD. Some huge Canadian distortion

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2235
edited November 2016 in FX
I've been reassessing all the dirt on my board, and the Kilt wasn't doing for me for high gain stuff, the Tumnus covers low gain beautifully, and the Frazz Dazzler is too good and bassy (and weird enough) so it's staying, but still needed some high gain non-fuzz distortion.

I had one of these ages ago, but never really dug in properly and sold it to @AxeWieldingBastard but I shouldn't have done that, because WOW. Found this one in Wunjo's with my favourite Dr S paint job so far, and the shop did me a deal for £185. Took it home to try out again...and it is BRUTAL. Amazing. On high gain setting, even with the gain dialled to 10 o'clock it sounds huge. Stacked with the Tumnus in front for more clarity, it is searing. This thing really is as versatile as everyone says, but really articulate. It also can work as a Cleanness, so my existing Cleanness will be put up for sale.

Yep, the Dr Scientist The Elements. Love love love.

https://imgur.com/gallery/5Q0Hh

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Looks awesome, looks Marshally, does it sound Marshally?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Nice one! Love Ryan and Tanyas pedals :+1: 

@Jonathanthomas83 it's more a swiss army gain box but it probably can do miab. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2235
    edited November 2016
    One thing: I'm not sure of its the pedal or my ears, but unless I crank the mid dial, I can't hear much difference in tone between the 3 Mid Freq toggle switch positions.
  • I'm getting some fizz on high gain settings, but that's only when the amp is at a lower volume. Also I've only tried it at 18V so far, wondering if it sounds better at 9V. Only seems to sound good when the amp and pedal volume is higher. Not one for home practice, unless you don't value your neighbours' peace & quiet.

Hmmm. I can't help but look back at why @AxeWieldingBastard sold his on... 

I don't want doubts to creep in this early, but shop said that away from the noise of other players, if I took it home and wasn't getting on with it, I could get my money back. 

And I really loved the Jam Rattler and the Friedman BE-OD. Gahhh! Dirt pedals do my head in!

The Elements is a huge amount of fun so far, though...
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3476
    edited November 2016
    I love that within the space of a few hours we all manage to talk ourselves out of it when there's a returns policy involved! :-)

Its a great way of trying new gear though.

Binty, what tone are you after?

I know this game well, just bought back my old Marvel Drive (my 3rd now). And still buying dirt pedals to see what I like most. I had thought the search ended with the Friedman OD but apparently, it didn't! haha.

• I love that within the space of a few hours we all manage to talk ourselves out of it when there's a returns policy involved! :-)

Its a great way of trying new gear though.

Binty, what tone are you after?

I know this game well, just bought back my old Marvel Drive (my 3rd now). And still buying dirt pedals to see what I like most. I had thought the search ended with the Friedman OD but apparently, it didn't! haha.
    I'm glad I'm nae only one!

I'm looking for Ratty, punkish indie filth, open and brash, big bass end, more articulate and less compressed than a Rat, though, so not an actual Rat.
  • Hmmm, I play more heavy, saturated chuggy sort of stuff. So the type of stuff I play may not suit. My favourite tones have always come from the Guvnor style pedals and MIAB. My first dirt was a Guvnor (v2) and I've always gravitated toward that sound.

My favourite now is a Marvel Drive, it really is awesome. Big bottom end and can get nice and high gain, JCM territory. If you're looking for more American sound, then Amptweaker stuff is simply astounding with its EQ options.

I love the Friedman too though, so if thats on your radar, go for it, what's putting you off? It really feels nice under your fingers, and not many pedals can have that effect.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have to be honest, I've not played high gain with the types of guitars you're using so would be reluctant to give a recommendation and my opinions may not ampunt to much. 

Do you have any guitars with humbuckers? Ive always found that I get a fuller and heavier high gain sound with humbuckers than single coils.

• The Elements is SO versatile and to be fair, imho, works well at low volumes too... you should find that it can all the things that your Cleaness does...
  • The Elements is SO versatile and to be fair, imho, works well at low volumes too... you should find that it can all the things that your Cleaness does...
    I knew about the Elements being able to function like the Cleanness, works perfectly in that regard. I prefer the Clip toggle in mid position, seems to be more open and ratty. One thing: I can barely hear a difference (if any) between the 3 positions on the Mid Freq toggle unless I crank the Mid dial on the EQ. Shouldn't there be a more marked difference between the 3 settings?

• Have to be honest, I've not played high gain with the types of guitars you're using so would be reluctant to give a recommendation and my opinions may not ampunt to much. 

Do you have any guitars with humbuckers? Ive always found that I get a fuller and heavier high gain sound with humbuckers than single coils.
    I'm only using the JM Jag and Jazzmaster, though the Jag's 4th switch position allows the pickups to function as a humbucker. And both sound great with dirt pedals.
  • Alright I've tweaked and tweaked but I'm still getting some bees-in-a-box at high gain settings. I am playing into a 65 DRRI, could it be the bright cap doing it?
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Dr.S pedals can take awhile to tune in - especially something as big as the Elements. My first few goes on the BitQ were meh but over the year it's become invaluable and a bottomless pit of fun. I wouldn't give up on it just yet but on the other hand if it definitely aint stoking yer fire then there's probably not much point in delaying the inevitable?
  • Lew said:
    Dr.S pedals can take awhile to tune in - especially something as big as the Elements. My first few goes on the BitQ were meh but over the year it's become invaluable and a bottomless pit of fun. I wouldn't give up on it just yet but on the other hand if it definitely aint stoking yer fire then there's probably not much point in delaying the inevitable?

I really want this to work with my set-up, I really do: but I'm still getting "bees". Gutted.
  • I have one and like it but have a variety of (non bright cap) amps I can run it through.

I tame the high end by setting the treble on the pedal quite low, like 9 o'clock but whether you like it that way is another matter....
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • So.

It went back for a refund.

Tried something with my amp and guitar...and it was fierce. Sticking with it. 
  • I totally missed this thread. It's gone back already? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I totally missed this thread. It's gone back already? 
    Worth a LOL there. Turns out I'm as bad with dirt pedals as reverbs. Just couldn't get on with it.
  • Lew said:

I really want this to work with my set-up, I really do: but I'm still getting "bees". Gutted.
    1k pots and a blackface amp will have vicious highs. 
    It's what made me move away from using my twin as my number one amp. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • At least Wunjo gave u the money back. The last time I bought a pedal from them they told me the same thing, "Take it home, try it out and if u want to bring it back we'll refund you."
    I took it back the next day and they were like, "Refund? Nah, store credit, or GTFO". 
    There's always the RAT ;)