Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Millions worth of punk memorabilia burnt

What's Hot
Haven't seen this posted yet. What's everyone's (particularly the punks of the fretboard) take on the burning of millions worth of punk memorabilia on the Thames yesterday? 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38120496

Very punk or a dick move?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • eSully said:

Some would say both. 

My my take was it was just another rich arsehole with a need for attention.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • A rich middle aged man who's mum is a "Dame" burning stuff he owns in a vain attempt to say that punk is dead because it's become a mainstream commodity. Oh and the documentary will be available in stores soon!
    Twat
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • eSully said:
    Haven't seen this posted yet. What's everyone's (particularly the punks of the fretboard) take on the burning of millions worth of punk memorabilia on the Thames yesterday? 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38120496

Dick. Announced he was going to do this months ago. Announced that he was a "little soldier of the punk revolution" despite being at boarding school and in single digit age when the punk era kicked off. Such a believer in the purity of punk that he became a multimillionaire when 80% of his knickers firm was sold to a private equity company for £60 million. 

Tosser of the highest order. And as big as a tosser as the KLF were when they burnt all that money. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9790
    edited November 2016
    Twat
    ^This. Wis'd.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28953
     And as big as a tosser as the KLF were when they burnt all that money. 
    Much more of a tosser than the KLF. Their money was insured - all they burnt was paper.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I approve of it. It has upset so many people who want to preserve our "punk heritage". Now the V&A can have an exhibit/discussion about this act, instead of a glass case with a pair of tartan trousers in it.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Total tosser, 1 - For burning loads of cool stuff and 2 - for thinking something which he has no mandate over whatsoever is or isnt dead on his say so, punk/diy music is thriving just as it ever was, and it doesnt need his permission
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Total tosser, 1 - For burning loads of cool stuff and 2 - for thinking something which he has no mandate over whatsoever is or isnt dead on his say so, punk/diy music is thriving just as it ever was, and it doesnt need his permission

If punk is thriving then we don't need all that old stuff from the seventies; we can make our own memorabilia. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3953
    It's painful. The thought of it makes me really angry.

Why couldn't he donate it all to charity if he didn't want it? He's just like his father. A humongous prick of the highest order.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Deadman said:

Why couldn't he donate it all to charity if he didn't want it? He's just like his father. A humongous prick of the highest order.
    This is my take on it too, he could have done a lot of good with it if he'd auctioned some of it off for Charity. It looks like a selfish self absorbed move by a publicity seeking millionaire... but I don't know him from Adam and don't identify as a punk hence asking for Punks opinions.
  • Reminds me of that utter tool Bill Drummond, who burnt an actual million pounds... in the name of art... prize twat.

However, quick quiz question... name the 2 songs written about him ?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12468
    Deadman said:

Wis'd. He needs a firm kick right in the bollocks for this twattery.

And his mum is so anti-establishment that she's a dame now?
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Yeah burning loads of paper and no doubt plastics etc while mummy is shouting at people to  be more green. 
    It's hypocrisy like this that punk rebelled against! 
    pair of cunts. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The person in question who justified the act in the article by saying 'Punk has become another marketing tool to sell you something you don't need'.

That's pretty much exactly what his father McLaren manufactured the Sex Pistols.

If the Sex Pistols are punk, then so is this.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm playing devil's advocate (or perhaps trolling) here a bit TBH. I always thought the Sex Pistols empire was primarily a triumph of marketing, and this stunt is entirely in keeping.

When I think of the punk ethic my mind goes to Steve Albini and Ian MacKaye, not McLaren's lot.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17789
    tFB Trader
    I found myself agreeing wholeheartedly with his quote:

"Punk was never, never meant to be nostalgic - and you can't learn how to be one at a Museum of London workshop," said Mr Corre on Saturday.
    "Punk has become another marketing tool to sell you something you don't need.
    "The illusion of an alternative choice. Conformity in another uniform."

However burning loads of stuff to get on telly just makes him look  like a massive dick.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Bet he kept the best stuff ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72864
    Dick.

If he wanted to make a statement he should have sold it all and given the money to something worthwhile which needs it. That probably didn't occur to him though, as he has plenty...

I assume that it also increases the value of the stuff he didn't burn.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28350
    A complete tit. Furthermore, the value was not verified at all, it was probably just mummys cast-offs that she couldn't sell. 

That guy is so far up his own arse. Punk came along, sold a few records, freshened up music for a while. End of.