Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Millions worth of punk memorabilia burnt

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• He could quite easily have done so much good with the money from that auction - why not buy hundreds of guitars and give them to young children? That's more punk than burning things like a dick. 

The money raised could have done so much good for charity, but he decided to go for the publicity, which in itself is unlike anything a "true punk" would have done. Utter bellend.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    edited November 2016
    If he had made a decision to do this as a penniless poverty-stricken destitute, I may be able to rustle up some respect.

But for now, twat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpttaylor said:
     why not buy hundreds of guitars and give them to young children? That's more punk than burning things like a dick. 
    This.
  • It's his stuff. I don't give a crap what he does with it.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    Not a dick. because dicks are useful.

He's a twerp. A self-publicising, self-aggrandising, "ooh, I'm an artist", "look-at-me-look-at-me", "my parents were famous so I must be cool" twerp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6116
    To be authentically 'punk' he should have thrown himself on the pyre.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1282
    Too much money, too much self importance......absolutely not anyone who should be policing what is and isn't "punk".
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Should have sold it all and given it to charity. Or donated it to an Oxfam shop in a situationist experiment to see if they'd realised what they had, or sold it at bargain prices. 

Like father, like son. No real talent except for saying 'look at me'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3926
    Rowby1 said:
    Too much money, too much self importance......absolutely not anyone who should be policing what is and isn't "punk".
    Yeah I've always been a massive punk music fan but have never classed myself as a 'punk'. What is a bloody punk anyway!?

I'm sure one of the pioneers (Richard Branson) could have bought it all off him. 5 million would have been spare change to him, he could have displayed them somewhere pertinent and used the excellent idea above of buying guitars for schools.

If not it could have gone some way to providing for all the homeless people in London.

It's such a waste. 5 million quid just to inflate your ego. Fuck me. I hate the bloke.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    The point a lot of people seem to be missing here is that the stuff only has value in terms of borrowed nostalgia, which misses the point but it's because of the Powers That Be repackaging it time and again. '£5 million' is just a measure of how much bullshit has built up around the notion of 'Punk' over the years. People who were there and lived through the scene are now wearing the scars of their DIY pierced ears that went septic, counting down the days till they can retire from their management job at a freight company in Wiltshire. The only people who care are the people who don't get it.

I'm 23. I don't care. Burn that old crap because nobody should give a shit anymore. From the ashes, build something new for a change.
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    What an utter dickwad. Really does need a slapping
  • bbill335 said:
    The point a lot of people seem to be missing here is that the stuff only has value in terms of borrowed nostalgia, which misses the point but it's because of the Powers That Be repackaging it time and again. '£5 million' is just a measure of how much bullshit has built up around the notion of 'Punk' over the years. People who were there and lived through the scene are now wearing the scars of their DIY pierced ears that went septic, counting down the days till they can retire from their management job at a freight company in Wiltshire. The only people who care are the people who don't get it.

I'm 23. I don't care. Burn that old crap because nobody should give a shit anymore. From the ashes, build something new for a change.

The "punk" (in it's modern definition, as opposed to "arsehole") thing to do would be to give it all away to a homeless shelter and illustrate how this repackaged nostalgia can be used to do something worthwhile. 

Burning it just makes him a bag of dicks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Nostalgia's just worship of the past.
    Then again our culture is nostalgia - smash the museums, burn the libraries, blow up those ancient cities.
    Pol Pot, Mao, Daesh-Isis.

• jpttaylor said:
    He could quite easily have done so much good with the money from that auction - why not buy hundreds of guitars and give them to young children? That's more punk than burning things like a dick. 

People who burn stuff for kicks are dicks for not giving the money to charity instead?

Hope you're not a smoker. 

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1312
    His "collection".
    So because other people value it, he decides it has no value to him anymore?  Punk always has been about what other people think.