Fender Super Champ X2 issue? G chords give a "sitar like" sound

What's Hot
Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 609
Hi,

Received my new Fender Super Champ X2 and everything is lovely with it apart from one thing. When I play a G chord or a G note on the 6th string at any appreciable volume (about 3-4 upwards) I get this sitar like noise. It's hard to describe but it sounds like a sitar. This is just with G. Is it a problem in the actual amp? Is the speaker unable to cope? Or is this normal and I haven't had a valve amp for so long I have just forgotten.

This is with the amp set to clean with no effects. I have replicated the problem on two different guitars and am happy it' nether the guitars or the cable as I tried it on a second amp at volume.

Disconcerting.....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Could be the speaker, a microphonic valve (most likely one of the power valves), or something else loose inside.

Try gently tapping the valves and see if you hear anything. You'll have to take the back panel off but that's simple and safe on these.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited November 2016
    No it isn't normal. As it's new I would send it back. Or waste a lot of time diagnosing what is resonating, physically or electrically.
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 609
    Hi,
    I'll have a try this afternoon, just whether it affects the warranty if I do anything myself...........!

Bought from Thomann so easy to return for a replacement I suppose.
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 609
    Chalky said:
    No it isn't normal. As it's new I would send it back.
    Maybe the best course of action thinking about it. If it was used I wouldn't worry about opening it up.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    See if you can reach around the back of the valve guard without taking it off - you might be able to, I can't remember.

If so, rather than tapping the valves - which will be tricky - try playing the note and see if touching any of the valves stops the buzz.

If not I would send it back.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom