Fender Super Champ X2 being returned as not working. Go for the same or something else?

What's Hot
Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 618
I considered the Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 5 and the Fender Bassbreaker as well.

After a tube combo with reverb built in preferably and for a max of about £550 or so. Aiming for a primarily good clean tone but with classic rock as well. Probably ACDC would be as distorted as I would go. My only pedal is a Tubescreamer TS9......

So, what have I missed? Any suggestions for head/cab combinations too? I thought the Fender Super Champ was a good compromise choice and I could happily go for it again. Just looking for confirmation before the return goes and I go for a replacement straight away.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2027
    edited November 2016
    Bassbreaker 15 - doesn't have massive clean headroom but its a nice clean channel (not your usual Fender clean though) and has great classic rock tones on tap. I love mine - goes nice and quiet for home (with, again, not your usual Fender on/off volume taper!) and the inbuilt digital hall reverb is superb.

Having said that, for versatility, I loved my Super Champ X2 and the clean channel is fantastic. That and a TS would get you pretty much there, I think.
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 618
    Chuffola said:
    Bassbreaker 15 - doesn't have massive clean headroom but its a nice clean channel (not your usual Fender clean though) and has great classic rock tones on tap. I love mine - goes nice and quiet for home (with, again, not your usual Fender on/off volume taper!) and the inbuilt digital hall reverb is superb.

Having said that, for versatility, I loved my Super Champ X2 and the clean channel is fantastic. That and a TS would get you pretty much there, I think.
    You have simultaneously made the decision both easier and harder!

I love Fender cleans and I am lucky enough to have a USA Vintage 60s Telecaster (albeit with noiseless pickups and an S1 switch which confuses me as to why it's there on a supposedly vintage spec guitar) and it was great with the X2.

The models on channel 2 were ok but I didn't try the TS9 yet with it.....
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Bassbreaker 15 would get my vote.  If nothing else the 12" speaker stands it head and shoulders above the Super Champ, which I always sounded typically 10" speaker boxy.
    Richardj said:
    Bassbreaker 15 would get my vote.  If nothing else the 12" speaker stands it head and shoulders above the Super Champ, which I always sounded typically 10" speaker boxy.
    How hard do you push it until it crunches up? I may just be going for a refund and spend a little more time thinking about it as at least I have another amp to use.

Still may consider the JetCity JCA20HV as it looks like it would do what I like nicely and have much more vintage voicing. However that would be eperate head..... Which means I then have to choose a cabinet...... The more I read the less I am actually bothered about modelling on valve amps. The Champion 40 is fine as it is simple and solid state, but I do think I want a valve amp to be a valve amp.

Youtube only goes so far! A combo would make it easier to take out to the office in the outbuilding for loudness though......
    edited November 2016
    Or for a little more can have a Laney VC15 or VC30? Had forgotten about them. Or the Little Marshall 5w DSL combos? The Laney should do decent cleans and the Marshall will do Marshall.

I did get a little Laney Cub 8 and think it is actually pretty good for the price and size so wondering about going for a bigger relation in that series. Would need a reverb pedal there though.

These cheaper Bugera amps worth checking out? JetCity seem to have a good rep.

This is hard!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    edited December 2016
    My SCXD is great and no probs since new from back in the day... Out through larger cab for full effect.

Oh and the onboard FX are actually bloody good!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    My SCXD is great and no probs since new from back in the day... Out through larger cab for full effect.

Oh and the onboard FX are actually bloody good!
    Do you mind me asking what cab you use with it? I was assuming you run the combo version and have an external plugged in. I might have it swapped and then think about an external cabinet to go with it and maybe a Jet City to play with too....... 
    Reprieved. I thought to have one last try and I can't replicate the problem so I'm keeping it. ANd hoping it's all fine.

Now wondering about the Fender extension cabinet to go with it.......... It never ends!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7345
    edited December 2016
    @Jetsam1 -  I run it into a ported ply cab with a Celestion 1x12 V30

http://i63.tinypic.com/hta1l0.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Roland Blues Cube
  • Jetsam1 said:
    @57Deluxe ;Now that sounds interesting as Thomann have a 1x12 speaker cabinet with a V30 for cheapness............. And you have a lovely Telecaster too!

I'm currently selling one. Please buy it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm in Hungary unfortunately! It does rather limit my options.....