How do you extend WiFi signal?

What's Hot
I've got a Virgin Superhub 2 and get great speed in the house (150mbps) but to get signal in the garage I need to use a TP Link extender, and even then I only get 10mbps.

Is there a solution to get the same 150mbps or close in the garage?
Its a separate building outside so the signal needs to go out the living room, down the hall, through the kitchen and then out the wall and in to the garage.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Ok, I've been in this situation.

Is the TP link a power line adapter?
    If so then a different power line adapter might work better.
    But if the distance from the Superhub to the garage is too great then there will be a limit to how well it can work, in which case an ethernet cable run would be better and then use a wifi router connected to that in the garage.

My workshop is connected to the house by a covered hallway.
    If I use a power line adapter in the workshop (which has a 100ft armoured cable to power the workshop) then I get 10mbit in the workshop.
    Moving the power line adapter to the hallway is a shorter cable run back to the RCD and I get 70mbit internet in the workshop, which is how I got around the problem.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited November 2016
    I joined another wifi router via a Cat6 cable, and enabled a different network with a different SSID from that second one. Then when I am in another part of the house, the device can connect automatically to that one, because the signal is so much stronger, and get decent performance (like Octatonic's first suggestion).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    Pretty sure that this is the one that I've got https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WA860RE-300Mbps-Extender-Passthrough/dp/B00M0KILOA/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1480278852&sr=1-4&keywords=tp+link+range+extender

I bought it on a bit of a whim and I don't think I got what I really wanted. I have the super hub in the living room, and then I've connected this in the kitchen. I imagined that when I went in to the garage I would search for wifi and I'd see one that said TP Link and then I'd connect to that, but I still connect to the original router.
    I assume what it's doing is the signal from the router hits it and then this just kicks it a bit further?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    I would try a different (and probably more expensive) device first.

I use Devolo DLAN 1200+ devices.
    We have one base station and 5 extenders to give us wifi in every room in the house, the workshop and the garden.
    You might not need so many, maybe just a base station and an extender.

You can't cheat science though, if the power cable run to the garage is too long then you can only use a socket with a shorter run, or switch to Cat 5 (I'd probably go with Cat 6 now though).

I do it differently with the network- the Devolo boxes are all set to the same network name and password- I can seamlessly move from room to room and no loss of signal. It is pretty nifty.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited November 2016
    Cat 5e or 6 cable, a second router and some man graft.  Cable and a second TP link cheap router standing around at 10m beats the speed you can get from a BT homehub at 2m.  All you need is a pickaxe and a spade boy and run it out.  Magic doesn't exist.  It's a simple thing that of you can't fix yourself then you must ask yourself.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24360
    Ive got these power line ones

https://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-600-kit-084288-BVFF.html

They work well. Extend the signal via the wiring, and then are wireless. Both units can be plugged into as well for a wired connection.
  • I tried a power line adapter. My router is in the living room, my bedroom is upstairs and other side. 

It didn't work at all. It did work in the living room though. I think my house must have odd wiring?
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I am looking into a similar problem and was gonna try the power lines today. If they don't work I will take them back and look at a cable solution. 
  • Virgin Superhub has ethernet and Wifi and you can have it do both at the same time - a bit fiddly to set up as I recall.  Ethernet is far better than wifi.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited November 2016
    Picked these up today and they work a treat two minutes to set up £99.

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-18_TL-WPA8630P-KIT.html

Didn't complete a speed test but seemed quick enough on Sky Fibre.

Might add another upstairs for those sitting on the toilet fretboard moments....