JD Simo and wah

clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
Saw JD Simo play during the week. Awe inspiring, seriously.

Anyway he had an unbelievable wah thing going on.

So after the gig I asked him what it was. Long story short it was a Cry Baby Clyde Mccoy.

I checked these out, they're expensive and simple inside, except the halo inductor, possibly the pot. A beginner could build that board.

Not feeling so enthusiastic anymore I checked out a couple of YT vids anyway.

It sounds like, well, a wah.

Lesson learned for me.  No more wishing I had 300 quid for the latest multi-adjustable blah blah. This has happened to me before, I should have known, and now, I do, I finally get it. Voodoo Chile, Shaft, I get it.  It's in the elbow and wrists, the foot control, not the box on the floor.

Wah is not just rocking the effing pedal back and forward in time. The thing is capable of the most awe inspiring sounds when used in the right context, by someone who knows how to to use one, geniuses like Mssrs. JD Simo, JM Hendrix, and Skip Pitts. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• clarkefan said:
    Saw JD Simo play during the week. Awe inspiring, seriously.

Anyway he had an unbelievable wah thing going on.

So after the gig I asked him what it was. Long story short it was a Cry Baby Clyde Mccoy.

I checked these out, they're expensive and simple inside, except the halo inductor, possibly the pot. A beginner could build that board.

Not feeling so enthusiastic anymore I checked out a couple of YT vids anyway.

It sounds like, well, a wah.

Lesson learned for me.  No more wishing I had 300 quid for the latest multi-adjustable blah blah. This has happened to me before, I should have known, and now, I do, I finally get it. Voodoo Chile, Shaft, I get it.  It's in the elbow and wrists, the foot control, not the box on the floor.

Wah is not just rocking the effing pedal back and forward in time. The thing is capable of the most awe inspiring sounds when used in the right context, by someone who knows how to to use one, geniuses like Mssrs. JD Simo, JM Hendrix, and Skip Pitts. 

I think that's true for all gear to be honest!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah possibly.  I think a lot of manufacturers are perfectly happy to let us think we only need the expensive thing and our musical ability will jump leaps and bounds. Obviously a 4 grand Les Paul will be so much better than a 600 quid one, etc.

All bollocks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom