Ssanyong Kyron anyone have any experience

What's Hot
Rear diff buggered on the scoob so local garage have offered me a deal on one of these, checked on line and seem OK anyone know anything about them?

(PS repair on scoob not an option due to the amount I've already spent on it and the amount of welding it needs for next MOT very sad but true)
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    Sorry don't know anything about them but at least it looks like they changed from having Stevie Wonder as the stylist for those at least.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited November 2016
    What do you actually want to do with it?  Ssanyong  seem to be a bit of a non brand, I drove one a few years ago and it was a bit 'nothing' somehow.  Very roly ride and the Mercedes 2.7 diesel engine and auto gearbox felt underpowered and noisy.

If you want a competent 4x4 there are better offerings from Hyundai and Kia.
  • FX_Munkee said:
    Sorry don't know anything about them but at least it looks like they changed from having Stevie Wonder as the stylist for those at least.
    I disagree, that thing is still ugly as sin. I can't imagine it's an amazing vehicle either, otherwise they'd get more recognition. So, despite having zero information other than photos and an explicit lack of press coverage, I'm going to confidently state that the Ssangyong Kyron is a pile of junk to be avoided at all costs.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    No idea. Good name for a band though.
    FX_Munkee said:
    I disagree, that thing is still ugly as sin. I can't imagine it's an amazing vehicle either, otherwise they'd get more recognition. So, despite having zero information other than photos and an explicit lack of press coverage, I'm going to confidently state that the Ssangyong Kyron is a pile of junk to be avoided at all costs.
    Ok, but I think you'll find it looks like a super model if you compare it to one of "Stevie's" designs, like the Ssanyong Rodius for instance.
    I would post an image but some people maybe eating.

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Have a look on What Car. Assuming they have any info on it there will be a journo's review us owner feedback. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4702
    edited November 2016

SsangYong
    Ssangyong Kyron 2.0 S 2WD (2008) review

Published: 20 June 2008

At a glance
        Handling
        2 out of 5
        Performance
        2 out of 5
        Usability
        3 out of 5
        Feelgood factor
        2 out of 5
        CAR's Rating
        2 out of 5

Richard Aucock

Completing our test of the relaunched SsangYong range is this: the Kyron 4x4. Straddling compact and working SUV status, the Kyron was previously saddled with naïve pricing that punched way above its weight.

Now, a 2WD version values it at a more reasonable £14,995, with a 4WD alternative for £2k more. It makes much more sense as a result – think of the Kyron as an even cheaper Kia Sportage, a hardy Suzuki Grand Vitara alternative, even a plain, honest working SUV with a price and approach most makers have deserted in the quest for ‘lifestyle’ this and 'mountain bike' that.

SsangYong Kyron: the facelift

Well spotted. The Kyron has indeed been facelifted for 2008. Well, it was actually done in 2007, and UK dealers had been crying out for it ever since – another failure of the old importer not to bring the revised car over here. Why their desperation? The old car’s ridiculous heraldic shield tail lights. The rest of it is actually OK, certainly inoffensive, but few could get over those laughable monstrosities at the rear. Now they’re gone, along with some of the front-end fussiness, for a smoother, hopefully more contemporary look.

The Kyron might be better to look at (just), but what's it like to drive? Click 'Next' to read our review of the latest SsangYong
    So what's it like inside the Kyron?

The Kyron has always been the best SsangYong inside, with a cool black dash that looks modern and interesting. Seats are firm, the new steering wheel is quite nice to hold, and equipment levels naturally complete. But sit further back, and the cabin feels odd. The rear bench area is a bit cramped, yet the boot is absolutely gigantic. It’s almost as if it were designed as a seven-seater. But, for us, it’s only five.

And to drive?

The 141bhp 2.0-litre common-rail turbodiesel is another one certified by Mercedes, and worries you with a rumbly, gravelly tickover – but it smoothes appreciably when running. The hefty gearshift has a gearknob shaped even more bizarrely than an Astra VXR's, but it's direct and helps you yield a turn of speed completely at odds with the yawning acceleration times.

Must be the 228lb ft of torque at 2250rpm, generated via a surprisingly hi-tech variable-geometry turbo. Driving dynamics are pretty good by SsangYong standards, with firmer body control and more confidence than the others.

Verdict

Consider its off-road skill and ability to tow up to 2300kg, and lagging behind contemporary compact SUVs such as the Honda CR-V isn’t an issue. Particularly as it costs at least £3k less. A worthy, basic 4x4 if you're on a budget and don't care about badge snobbery.
    Specs
    Price when new: £14,995
    On sale in the UK: Now
    Engine: 1998cc 4-cyl turbodiesel, 141bhp @ 4000rpm, 228lb ft @ 2250rpm
    Transmission: Five-speed manual, front-wheel drive
    Performance: 15.4secs 0-62mph, 104mph, 37.7mpg, 191g/km CO2
    Weight / material: 1875kg/steel
    Dimensions (length/width/height in mm): 4660/1880/1755

I certainly wouldn't................

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_Munkee said:
    FX_Munkee said:
    Ok, but I think you'll find it looks like a super model if you compare it to one of "Stevie's" designs, like the Ssanyong Rodius for instance.
    I would post an image but some people maybe eating.

Woah, the Rodius is like a poor GCSE coursework submission - except the GCSE was in abstract art! I think some of my work (Software) ends up equivalent to that - it's what happens when you're nearly finished something and suddenly some jobsworth crawls out from under his rock and demands something gets added at the last moment. At that point, I often give up trying to care for the crafting of beautiful code.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    We are talking about a delicious Korean cabbage dish, aren't we?
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15969

I've got the silver horsie

tae be or not tae be
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Save some more money, get a Dacia Duster. Good value cheap 4x4
  • Well after long test drive bought it. Merc diesel engine large load space, Boot which opens up as opposed to the side (which ruled out most small SUV's and a necessity when towing) no lip on boot straight slide in for cabs, switchable 2wd 4wd and low ratio so ticks a lot of boxes. Cheaper Tax than Scooby

Downside not a scooby so take more care when driving, and no heated seats
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    edited November 2016
    Well after long test drive bought it. Merc diesel engine large load space, Boot which opens up as opposed to the side (which ruled out most small SUV's and a necessity when towing) no lip on boot straight slide in for cabs, switchable 2wd 4wd and low ratio so ticks a lot of boxes. Cheaper Tax than Scooby

Downside not a scooby so take more care when driving, and no heated seats
    Oh if only @Phil_aka_Pip ; were still here, he'd be ectstatic.

but then we'd have to point out it was made by Johnny Foreigner.