Getting started with basic recording

What's Hot
Hi Folks

My brother and I want to get started with some basic recording - me on acoustic and electric guitar and him on vocals, and maybe with some kind of drum track (think you can add this in GarageBand?) 

I have JUST started dabbling with GarageBand (connected directly to my THR10 amp via USB) and managed to make a passable attempt at recording a bit of guitar....

For the vocals obviously we are going to need a microphone, could someone make a recommendation for a budget device that will do the job?

Our aim is making something of sufficient quality to share with family and friends, no grand ideas of TOTP just yet (is that even a thing anymore?!) ....so wouldn't need to be the world's most amazing quality recordings as long as it's listenable!

I imagine a lot of the skill in getting a good sound lies on the technical side ... so to that end can anyone recommend some reading material/video tutorials on the software side of things? 

Thanks in advance!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    As mentioned in your other thread about recording guitar, I'd recommend getting hold of a decent interface (USB or Firewire connection) that will give you inputs for your guitars and for mics. They will give you a better signal to noise ratio and will enable you to hook up your monitoring system to the computer too.
    Also it means you can use any good mic to record, rather than a USB one - it gioves you much more flexibility.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited November 2016
    Thanks , this is going over my head already haha. 

As far as recording the guitar, I thought the amp was the interface? I'm happy enough with the sound of the recorded guitar for current purposes. 

As for a monitoring system.... I'm just using headphones plugged into the Mac at the moment. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2093
    I would strongly suggest small interface,https://www.thomann.de/gb/usb_audio_interfaces.html?oa=smb

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • How cheap do you want? 

If the THR10 can give enough level into your USB interface you might be OK with a dynamic mic (for example, an SM58). You might already have one for stage work. 

But, in truth, the advice you've had regarding getting an inexpensive audio interface is the best. I use a PreSonus AudioBox iTwo, which works with a Mac, PC and iOS device. You'll get significantly better sound for not much money and it will replace the sound card in your Mac when it's plugged in, so you'll be able to monitor inputs and outputs better, too. 
    Thanks guys. 

Could someone please give me very layman's overview of these audio interfaces and what they're doing? Where does the amp fit in to all of this (nowhere?) 

Sorry if this is all daft questions....all very new to me and would rather get the gear right from the off. 

Such a minefield of products and when you don't know why you need one it makes it even more difficult!!
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    hi mate

audio interface:

its a separate device to your pc/mac that allows you to connect mics and instruments. It will have an audio processor in it, which means it takes some of the burden of changing the audio into code, away from the PC/mac. This means two things - it will run faster, and usually, it will sound better.

It also gives you more control over the signal-  in that you will be able to turn it up or down to get the best level in for recording.,

Most interfaces will have phantom power - that means you will be able to power up and amplify the signal from a mi when connected.

Interfaces will also have a headphone socket and line outs to connect to monitors (powered speakers) or another audio system such as a hifi.

an interface is an essential for recording, and they can be had cheap.  OFten they come with a scaled down version of recording software, usually Ableton, which is a good way to get familiar with recording software.

this is the right place ot be asking questions!

Thanks snap! That's helpful! 

So in my current setup, given that I can connect the amp direct to my Mac via USB the amp is currently acting as an interface , yes? 

So in that case what is the benefit of a 'standalone' unit? Would that be purely on the vocals side of things? Or would a standalone interface make for a better guitar recording than using the amp as an interface? 

In terms of the physical 'setup'/connection, does the interface connect to the amp at all - like a chain of devices - or would I just unplug from the amp and plug into the interface when I'm going from practicing to recording?

I.E I wouldn't use/be connected to the standalone interface at all other than when recording, is that right?

thanks for the help and sorry for the daft questions! 
  • Good advice from @Snap there. Just to answer your specific question about "the amp" - which I take it means the THR10...

I don't own one, but by looking at the spec, I'd suggest that it duplicates some of the functionality of an audio interface, but only in a limited way. Those limitations will hurt you in due course, because it wasn't designed to be an open-ended recording system. 

It will be fine for playing back pre-recorded music that you're jamming along to for practise purposes, using the THR10 speakers or headphones to hear yourself.

Even a budget audio interface will give you much more if you're recording your own stuff. That especially applies to recording using a microphone. I suspect the input preamps on the THR10 will only be "tuned" for guitar level inputs and not the varying different microphones you might use. 

My specific advice would be to bite the bullet and buy...
    1. An inexpensive audio interface. Like I wrote yesterday, mine is a PreSonus AudioBox iTwo. Currently £99 at PMT Online. FocusRite do something similar at a similar price. Very little mechanicals inside to go wrong, so a used one would also be fine. They are "entry level" products, but they're not toys.
    2. If you own a dynamic microphone for stage work (SM58, etc) you can just see how you get on with that for the moment. 
    3. When you're ready, buy an inexpensive condenser microphone. I use an SE X1. Currently £89 at Andertons. Rhode do something similar. 
    4. I now know the THR10 comes with Cubase AI, but I'd suggest you'll be better off starting with GarageBand as your DAW. (Digital Audio Workstation software - your software equivalent of the old studio console, tape machine and external effects units). I don't know much about Cubase products, but GarageBand is very easy to learn and get started with, and more people here will be able to help you if you have questions. 

Good luck, fella! 

Thanks that's also very helpful! 

Looks like a standalone interface is indeed the way to go then!

I currently use GarageBand for the very little recording I've done using the amp. 

Just to be really clear - noob alert - the guitar will be recorded going direct into the interface yes? The microphone doesn't come into play when recording an electric guitar? 

If that's the case - I'm thinking about a used Scarlett 2i2 and then adding a microphone down the line as at this point I'm only recording guitar, we're unlikely to be recording vocals until next year when we get some time to get together and do it. 
    You can put the guitar direct into the interface, but you will be relying on any software to provide EQ or Fx, if you like the sound of the amp then you can go from this into the interface, or you can mic it up. Go entry level by all means, but FYI ...I did that and have been through about 5 bits of kit to where I am now....depends how you see your future in recording,

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks spark. It's a modelling amp so presume that there's a lot of digital jiggery pokery going on in the amp anyway so will there be much difference in going direct into the interface vs micing up the amp?

Good point regarding gear, that's why I'm asking a million questions tbh, rather get it right from the off. 

But to be clear, we are very much beginners in terms of both our music ability and knowledge of the technical side of things (as you can tell) 

The aim is something that we can make recordings with - as cheaply as possible - that will be of sufficient quality to send to friends/family etc. We have no illusions/delusions (delete as appropriate!) of anything beyond that. I'll also be using it as a practice aid. 

So the Scarlett kit seems to tick the boxes. 
  • Bear in mind that the amp is designed for use with guitars and will probably provide a good recorded guitar sound with all it's modelling. However it probably won't do a great job of clean recording a mic, so won't be much cop for vocal recording.  That's one of the reasons why you need another interface.
    Experimentation is the part of the fun with recording, so whether the amp sounds better direct or mic'd up is a matter of personal taste.  Try both.
    In terms of mics, start off with a a wide diaphragm condenser, such as a Rode NT-1a.  These mic types can be got fairly cheaply and have a good general frequency response.  Dynamic mics, on the other hand, are great for live work, but lack top end and can sound a bit dull when recorded.
    Mike Senior's book 'Recording Secrets' is pretty good.
    You will undoubtedly get baffled initially by the ins/outs setup of an interface, even the simple ones can be confusing to start, but bear in mind that no matter how many channels etc they are mostly multiples of the same thing, so once your set up your good to go. Might be worth putting your PC specs in your sig ( see mine), so we can see what power you have available !   

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 996

My specific advice would be to bite the bullet and buy...
    1. An inexpensive audio interface. Like I wrote yesterday, mine is a PreSonus AudioBox iTwo. Currently £99 at PMT Online. FocusRite do something similar at a similar price. Very little mechanicals inside to go wrong, so a used one would also be fine. They are "entry level" products, but they're not toys.

Just ordered one of these today...will be along in a few days time with a tonne of questions!
    The Artist software with the Audiobox is cool, plus you get Capture duo which is great for quick 2 trk recording.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    Thanks all. Going to do a little more research but looks like the Scarlett 2i2 / Audiobox 'studio bundles' with the mics will tick all the boxes to get us started. 
    One last question folks, if we wanted to add keyboard sounds to the mix, am I right in thinking that the modern little keyboards connect directly to the software via USB - IE they would bypass the interface altogether?
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    One last question folks, if we wanted to add keyboard sounds to the mix, am I right in thinking that the modern little keyboards connect directly to the software via USB - IE they would bypass the interface altogether?
    If you're talking about a MIDI keyboard - one that doesn't make any sounds on its own, then yes. Plug the audio interface into one USB port and your keyboard into another. All should work fine. 
    Thanks! Yea that was the type I meant, just the little dinky ones that only have a few keys! 
    I'm not sure what sounds come with Presonus, probably a scaled version of Prescence which has samples of all instruments inc drums, either way it will work easy with a USB keyboard.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview