Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Custom shop juniors and PRICES see page 4 :)

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22989
    edited November 2016
    chalk and cheese as far as I'm concerned - granted if you can't hear it, feel it, appreciate it or not even able to afford it, then hard to justify it - But if you appreciate all the 'goodness' in a Historic Collection/Custom Shop Junior and can afford it, then no contest - I often notice that you'll appreciate the gains of such a discerning guitar when you move back down to the production model after playing them side by side for a while - You'll notice a difference when you move up but appreciate it more when you move back down

It's like watching TV.  Standard definition looks absolutely fine on a day-to-day basis, but if you spend a few hours watching something in high definition then go back to SD, you suddenly realise - in comparison - how crap it looks.

Going back to Juniors after that somewhat unconvincing analogy, it's all about the necks for me.  I've got so used to guitars with bigger necks, everything from Gibson USA, even with the "50s" necks, seems too skinny.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    Exorcist said:
    Exorcist said:
    I still think the steak analogy would be better if its the same steak but one served on an expensive plate with loads of garnish. The meat is the same.
    The meat isn't the same just like the wood the custom shop uses isn't the same.
    They select the best quality, driest, most resonant etc vs the std models that get the bulk wood that is not hand selected for a specific purpose.
    Same with the cows - some are normal cows, some are bred by experts to taste a certain way
    Yep, I agree that the wood is consistently better. But I don't think a good production model is going to be much different to a CS. The pickup is the same, there is no cap, just a slap of mahogany and that may make a touch of difference if you get a bad production one. I think we will have to agree to disagree - put a CS next to mine, crank up an amp with a touch of overdrive and I don't think people will consistently pick the custom shop. You will feel better playing it though I don't doubt, it will look nicer and be 'historically correct' and you will no doubt get a kick out of knowing its value. Its a stripped down rock machine though, lets not get carried away.
    Your one might be made of really good wood.  You can get good wood at any price point, but you are more likely to get it on a CS guitar than a factory one.  You are also very unlikely to get a really bad piece of wood on a CS guitar.

Body wood does make a significant difference to tone.  The stuff the CS use will be much more carefully selected.  Some of the regular factory guitars will be CS rejects.
  • it's not about what the audience hears or could pick out, it's about the feel of the instrument and the experience for the person playing it.
    I have had a lot of production Strats from various ends of the spectrum, they all sounded within 10% of eachother, but the feel and experience of a CS Strat for me is worth every penny (and it sounds better!)

• ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    But that's a strat - I own other custom's, but we are talking about LP Jnr's. They are not meant to be polished up. Anyway - Its subjective, and If you want to pay £2500 or whatever it cost for a CS Jnr thats your shout and good luck to you. No shame in that. Personally I'd be tempted with a R9 - I get the difference there, but not with a junior IMHO
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22989
    miserneil said:
    hootsmon said:

are the CS juniors like the LPs...you know various LP years 57 58 59s

do Gibson have a selection of juniors from different years too?

No, the Custom Shop do a '57 Single Cut or a '59 DC which (i think) is the rarer of the two.

'57 SC, '58 DC and, confusingly, '60 Specials in both SC and DC.

All currently out of production, infuriatingly - although that said, they'd be about £4k if they were True Historics.

The doublecuts are as rare as hens' teeth, they never appear on eBay.  But there are loads of real vintage '50s ones, if you have the money.

• hootsmon said:

Peeps

what could I expect tae pay for a recent(ish) good shape SC  Custom shopJunior...? with case of course

I've seen them go from as little as £1200 privately, up to about £2k at places like Peach...
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15977
    cheers Bert  :)
    tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14305
    edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    @guitars4you that is very nice, it reminds me I do need a special in my life.
    @crunchman "Your one might be made of really good wood.  You can get good wood at any price point, but you are more likely to get it on a CS guitar than a factory one.  You are also very unlikely to get a really bad piece of wood on a CS guitar."

yep, I totally agree. 
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Been reading this thread with interest and then this popped up on my YouTube feed...

Who's that dude and wots he stompin' on for OD
    tae be or not tae be
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    edited November 2016
    hootsmon said:
    Who's that dude 
    Greg Cock....

thanks Richard er,,,,Dick
    tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Dick Cock? =)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

He usually switches to a friedman smallbox for overdrive. Fantastic player.
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    edited November 2016
    got overexcited and double-posted
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • there was a chap in Bath who was trying to sell at 2000ish custom shop SC junior in TV yellow with case... last I saw it was at £1500 and falling
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited November 2016
    monoamine said:
    there was a chap in Bath who was trying to sell at 2000ish custom shop SC junior in TV yellow with case... last I saw it was at £1500 and falling
    I think this one was for sale on here for about £1200 a few months ago.

Also a TV white one was available here last week for £1200. I believe Greenwood is selling that now for a shade over £2k!

I was after a SC VOS in sunburst for ages so have all searches set up. Didn't really see anything but my target price would be £1200 private maybe £1600 absolute max for a mint used one from a decent shop.

I've gone for a custom build now...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • It was me selling one on here for £1200 last week and it was indeed bought by the chap in question. Good luck to him as I had it on here at 1200 without much of a sniff and on EBay/Gumtree at a higher prince which is where he had it off me. I wish this thread was around then as I would have shifted it quicker and to someone on here too ! (which is my preference)