Harry Potter world watford....anyone taken the family there?

What's Hot
mgawmgaw Frets: 5280
thinking of taking the kids there and wondering if anyone else has done so, if so what do they think?   cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kipplekipple Frets: 354
    mgaw said:
    thinking of taking the kids there and wondering if anyone else has done so, if so what do they think?   cheers
    I have not been but 2 of my daughters went there. then they went there again and again.
    They thought it was the best ever. 
    I put peoples heads in horse's beds

• Yes. Well, MrsTheWeary and my youngest when he was 15. Can't see there would be much for very young children. You are basically walking around and looking at stuff, there is some interactive stuff but it's more the looking. 
    It probably helps if you like HP. I don't but I still found it surprisingly interesting. If you've an interest in film making or art and design you can bypass having an interest in wizards.  It seems well organised ( you're given time slots for entry when you buy tickets so there isn't much queuing and it isn't horrendously busy). There's a big coffee shop before you go in, couple of places to buy food ( we had butter beer!) and a massive gift shop. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    edited November 2016
    Yes, a few weeks ago.

Brilliant, if you're into it - the sheer quantity and detail level of what they've got there is fantastic.

Book early and allow 3 and a half to 4 hours for the tour - you go at your own speed, but you'll need that long.

Dont buy too much Butter Beer ;). One glass between all the kids is probably enough. It tastes like a mixture of Angel Delight and soda water. (We did get it in the plastic tankard though, so you get a souvenir.)

All the merchandising is extortionate - if J.K.Rowling gets a percentage I can now understand why she's richer than the Queen...

I have to admit to not being a fan, but it was still interesting and impressive.

Nearly forgot - leave your Swiss Army knife at home, they have very strict security on the entrance. Although they appear to not be allowed to search under-16s, which rather makes a nonsense of it!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    edited November 2016
    I live 2 miles down the road from there, so I've been 3 times now.

Kids will love it as well as adults, everything is on show for you to look at closely and photograph. Lots to read and watch and admire the sculptures/sets etc.

They've recently added a lot more pieces of sets etc so it's now better than ever.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    Yep, been there with the kids. It was perfect for the 10yo HP fan. It was a bit much for the 5yo who was a bit young but he still enjoyed it. I was a good day out and they want to go back. But, it was expensive.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    As above, great for adults and older kids, nothing for young kids and they will get bored very quickly!  
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Couldn't afford it! Two of my kids went with pals who paid, they really enjoyed it. 
  • Did it in 2015.  If your a HP fan you will love it.  As others have said its very expensive and the gift shop is packed with all sorts of stuff that you and the kids will want to buy.  Allow for this in your budget for the day.   I thought butterbeer to be a foul abomination.  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • As said before, if you are a Harry Potter fan its great, I also wouldn't take a Child less than around 7 years old there as there isn't a huge amount to do other than looking at things.
  • Went there with my wife (a Potter fan) a couple of months ago - she enjoyed it but it was a feat of endurance for me as I'm not the least bit interested in HP. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    My daughters went and absolutely loved the place. They are big Potter fans though.
  • I absolutely loath the Harry Potter books and films but thought it was brilliant there (I took the good lady for her birthday). But as others have said I'd be wary of the kids are young because it's quite a lot of walking about and not much interaction,
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5280
    thanks all, sounds like a done deal youngest is 6 but well into the whole hp thing so should be good,,,,now are there any good guitar shops around there?