Advice needed - remedying a lacquer run

What's Hot
I'm halfway through clear-coating an LP style top with a nitro rattle-can and I have created a run. Actually, it's more of a little 'ridge' on a downhill section of the carve than a drippy run.

I'm frustrated with myself as I've been sooooo patient on this project so far - just got a bit heavy-handed for a second there.

My question is: Do I sand it out now, and then continue with further coats? Or do I continue with further coats, which may melt into the 'ridge' making it less pronounced, then sand flat at the end?

I suspect the answer is to sand now and then continue with further coats - if that's the case, how long do I need to wait for the lacquer to harden before I can sand and continue lacquering?

Many thanks - I've got plenty of pics of the project, so I'll do a proper thread on it when I get a minute! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2942
    tFB Trader

I'd sand now. I have a couple of square sticks of wood, 1/4" 10 mill type things, good for attacking small things & right corners without annihilating the rest, if you're careful not to rock the sticks. For curves something like a tube can do it. I've got blocks in all sorts of shapes but also press all sorts of old crap into service like car hoses, steel tubes, anything careless enough to be in reach..

Once the ridge looks mostly gone, block sand over it lightly - if there's enough build to not cut through. There's often a slight difference that you can't see or feel until polished up, blocking sorts that.
    If the clear's too thin for blocking lay on more and see how it goes, any slight unevenness can disappear as the new clear flows out over & around it.

("block" doesn't have to be a square rigid block, also means something flexy round or curved to suit the shape).

If the clear feels dry, doesn't mark up with a thumbnail dragged lightly on it, it's OK to sand. If it drags badly or worse still balls up as you sand, down tools and leave it a while.

I dry sand unless it's the final sanding before polish, you can see what's going on more. Need the right paper for it though. Good luck, sneak up it, it'll all come good!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
    Brilliant @Corvus I'll have a go at that today, many thanks for your advice!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom